Cold Nights but which clothing do you prefer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in one thermals (though can be tricky sometime if you know what i mean) as you dont have the issue of drafts in the nether regions you get down to the eyepiece. just need jeans and windproof trousers and a good thick woolly jumper build the extra layers as you need them.

if it is extreme from the word go i use same thermals jogging bottom and a all in one fishing suite oh and the eye patch valuable if you need to come in for a warm.

as can be seen in my galley. WARNING : swallow tea first.

Might recommission my "Football Managers" sheepskin coat. Use to wear it, while living abroad, back in the eighties. Unfortunately, in the UK, it seemed to suggest to the local street-nutters, that I must be "gay", so it got moth-balled. But, maybe under the cover of darkness? :)

On the other hand I'm keeping a close eye on my open observatory roof:

BBC The [removed word] Emery show clip 70s - YouTube

In case she wants to "Do something for those poor men in the cold..." :D

I'm a bit of a big guy. I find my natural layer of blubber works fine. I'll wear a fleece top,hat and gloves in anything below -5C.

Last winter we had temps of -15C so i stayed indoors and observed through the window. Sucks for observing planets but for most other night sky objects its fine.

Tea cosy to the head as my granda would wear...has anyone ever used a heated body warmer, maplins sell heated clothes very cheap, 6AAA batterys keep you cooked for 2hours would it be worth the buy.. or would you create dew on everyones scopes on a passing visit???

Being a keen walker and mountainbiker I am used to being outside in cold weather. If there is one piece of advice I would give anyone, that would be use several thin layers rather than just a couple of big ones as using several thinner layers means that air is trapped between them acting as another insulating layer, thus giving you extra warmth. This method has been used to great effect by countless people who indulge in outdoor activities.

Archived