Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade AR5 5" Achromat and moonlite focusser

Now look you lot here's a proper looking telescope you wouldn't catch me with a Maksutov or reflector or one of those sct thingies :D Well not this week anyway!!

Another scope in my incredible journey , the c9.25 has departed so I am left with a 2nd hand AR5 Achromat refractor. I had a bit of a disaster fitting the moonlite dual speed crayford- I dropped it and bent one of the set screws for the compression ring clamp, no problem as I had a spare but oh no the once buttery smooth focusser now felt like it was riding on cobbles. I emailed moonlite in the states and within 5 minutes the owner Ron sent back instructions on how to completely take the thing apart, a small piece of teflon pressure pad had slipped out of place and once repositioned my heart attack was postponed! Once fitted the new focusser showed perfect collimation with a laser dead centre on the objective throughout it's travel. I did However, have to adjust the lense cell as it now showed a fairly big misalignment in a cheshire eyepiece as the original focusser was not square on the tube and it had been adjusted to compensate.

It's all spot on now and I can't wait to try it out. here she is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Steve at First Light Optics is your man for a Moonlite , it is still without doubt the best upgrade you can do on ANY scope! Just try and keep them longer than me.

Dave

It's sure to perform admirably Dave. The only contribution you have to make, is be careful in future. Gravity is a mean lady, if you don't keep a tight reign on her, she will break everything you've got :D

Ron. :D

I'm in the 'real scope' club too and that there is definatley a real scope :D. I love your dew cap.. quality job.

As for the moonlight, I haven't stopped drooling since looking at them on FLO. However it scared the living **** out of my wallet and it's hidden in my coat pocket and hasn't come out since! :D I'll talk it round, it just takes time

Matt

Archived