HEQ5 guide port problem

pidge010

Not sure if anyone on the forum has had this problem but I am struggling to guide with my current setup, HEQ5 on a Astro Engineering AC282 pier, Pentax 75 SDHF and a orion guiding scope short tube 80 and a orion guider, I am thinking there is a problem with the HEQ5 mount.

Oh previous to this setup I was using a Celestron CPC 9.25 on a heavy duty wedge on my Astro Engineering AC282 pier, orion short tube 80 guide scope, orion guider and Orion StarShoot Pro V2 camera, all worked fine but I had many mount issues, I had movement and trying to accurately drift align with this setup was impossible because when I retightened the bolts after minor adjustment using PHD and graph I lost everything when the bolts were tightened up, I am new to this and even I know this is a bad design by Celestron, I know there is another Celestron Wedge soon to be available but I am wondering if it has the same issues as the old heavy duty wedge, this whole setup is not good for imaging.

When I try to guide through PHD it takes for ever to calibrate so something is obviously wrong with my current setup, according to Orion it should be guiding within a minute, when I try to guide through Maxim essentials I get all kinds of error messages after exposing, calibrating and tracking, how can I check to see if my guider port on the HEQ5 is working or not?

Are you guiding over the ST-4 port or through the Controller/EQDIR?

Use the "Handbox" option in PHD to check that the mount is properly responding to the guide signals...

Best checked on a star...

Peter...

Hi Peter, yes I am guiding over the ST-4 port, can you tell me which version of PHD I should be using, I have only recently started to use it, many thanks for your suggestion

Hi Paul

Just got your PM - the "Handbox" that Psychobilly is talking about is the Manual Guide option that we tried last night - which didn't work.

You're running the latest version of PHD (which works fine for me).

If the ST4 port isn't working, as we've discussed - I'd use EQMOD and an EQDIR module - the cheapest way to do this is make your own FTDI lead as shown on the EQMOD web -site.This works a treat for me and you can control the mount using one of these..

Logitech 940-000062 Cordless RumblePad 2 for PC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi again - should have said - if you want to see EQMOD in all its glory and it's clear (which the BBC say it will be be!?!) you're more than welcome to pop over to mine on Sunday evening - if you bring the Orion over - we can test it on my NEQ6

Paul

Hi again - should have said - if you want to see EQMOD in all its glory and it's clear (which the BBC say it will be be!?!) you're more than welcome to pop over to mine on Sunday evening - if you bring the Orion over - we can test it on my NEQ6

Many thanks Steve

Oh here is my first attempt ever at image processing with Maxim DL and Photoshop, 20 180 sec light images stacked and 5 dark subtracted, HEQ5, Pentax 75 SDHF, orion starshoot pro v2 and orion guider

post-16932-133877669701_thumb.jpg

post-16932-133877669708_thumb.jpg

Archived