Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Pinwheel?

One of my favorite galaxies at least from hubble and other image sources has always been the pinwheel. I looked in the spot it was supposed to be and couldn't see anything but a trapezoid of 4 stars (a fairly big trapezoid) and occasionally saw a faint something near the center of it, but wasn't quite sure. Just how bright is it? How big is it? Edit: I realize I won't see hubble style with my scope, I just want to know what to look for.

Hi

By Pinwheel I guess you are referring to M101? I say this because some call M33 the pinwheel too.

A lot depends on your level of light pollution and whereabouts of the Galaxy in the sky.

M101 is about the size of the Moon but has very low surface brightness. If your sky has any LP it is one of the hardest Messier objects to observe. If on the other hand you are observing from a dark site, then it is one of the most spectacular sights in the sky.

From an average sky you are looking for a slight brightening of the sky background.

The other problem is it's position in the sky at this time of year. It will be better to observe when it is overhead in the spring.

If you are referring to M33 most of the same applies. Large, faint, very hard with LP and again you are looking for a slight brightening of the sky background.

Both of these Galaxies are best to observe on very transparent nights from dark locations then the results can be nothing short of staggering.:)

Regards Steve

Googling for "Hubble Pinwheel Galaxy" mostly brings up images of M101. M101 has a much brighter core than M33 and this makes it easier to see from somewhere with light pollution. Unless you're somewhere very dark, you should be on the lookout for a "fuzzy star" which may well require averted vision. If I were guessing, I'd say your scope would show something close to this under dark skies: http://www.asod.info/wordpress/wp-content/2009/05/101xgotowy2.JPG

M33 is a larger but tougher object because it has lower surface brightness and is easily swamped by light pollution. However, from somewhere dark there's plenty of detail and it's even visible to the naked eye if it's very dark indeed.

The "pinwheel" that the OP is describing sounds very much like M33, including the (fairly big) "trapezoid of 4 stars". The faint smudge is M33 - it's not spectacular unless you have really large aperture and really dark skies.

The best "pinwheel" to my eyes is M51 and that needs 10" and dark skies to show itself really well.

I always struggle to see M33 unless I'm under proper dark skies. Infact I've not even tried in my 10" yet because it's not well placed for me when I've been out and probably too washed out.

M33 is nice because there are several HII regions you can see with a small telescope. NGC 604 is particularly bright and is visible in most scopes. Check out this nice article on the galaxy: http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/M33-Whitman.pdf

Great article Umadog thanks for digging it out. Explains nicely why this is one of my favourite DSO's

Archived