Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I might be doing something wrong here!

TheThing

No surprises there!

So I'm out last night with my SPC900 modified with the Sony ICX618ALA mono chip, doing some Jupiter imaging. I'm really using the session as a practice for taking LRBG images to combine.

My set up is: -

Netbook

Running SharpCap & Win 7 -> SPC900 -> Kson Filter Wheel with RGB Filters -> L Filter in nosepiece of filter wheel -> 4x Imagemate -> OTA

These are my results (I'm not too concerned about focus as it was just a test!): -

Green

JupiterGR29_09_201122_26_36.jpg

Red

JupiterRed29_09_201122_25_52.jpg

Blue

JupiterBlue29_09_201122_23_56.jpg

All three stacked

JupiterST29_09_201122_23_56st.jpg

As you can see, they are still all mono! What am I doing wrong?

To be fair, I can't get my head round the fact that putting coloured filters in front of a black and white chip will produce any colour at all! Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

You don't get the colour from stacking, you get the colour from processing each image as its relevant colour in Photoshop or similar.

There's a tutorial on here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it .....

(Edit: This was the one I was thinking of : http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/57834-lrgb-imaging-primer.html)

The 8 bit limit in GIMP shouldn't be too much of an issue here. Basically, you need to load each colour channel into a single image (in the respective colour channel of that single image)... if that makes sense. I can't remember how to do that in GIMP... I only tried it the once...

keep your eyes open for a freebie copy of PaintShopPro V10 or similar...you can sometimes get them on the monthly computer mag CD.

It does 99% of everything that PhotoShop does - layers, gamma, etc etc

Wow, blast from the past :) I didn't realise it lived so long!

I found this on Amazon based on Merlins post, might be worth a go for £12?

Corel Paint Shop Pro X (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

Archived