Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing Problem

Hi,

I'm having problems balancing my scope with the counter-weights in RA. For some reason the the scope (200P) is always heavier than the counter-weights, even when they are right near the bottom of the shaft. I already have 2 weights on there but surely I won't need more? This is even without my DSLR attached to the scope. All the other balancing is fine, its just RA which is being iffy.

Any help is much appreciated :p

Carl

Sounds like you need more c'w...

Try some of the Tesco weights..they can be sandwiched between the two you have...much cheaper...

Turns out that it wasn't balance which was making my imaging have trails. When I installed motors onto my mount it wouldn't go down to the 25 degrees and cause I had installed them when they were not at 25 degrees they were not tracking properly...and now found out the sad news that the latitude bolt is bent which wasn't letting me go down to 25 degrees when installing the motors :p Very very racked off....think i'm going to go back to my beloved dobson

Turns out that it wasn't balance which was making my imaging have trails. When I installed motors onto my mount it wouldn't go down to the 25 degrees and cause I had installed them when they were not at 25 degrees they were not tracking properly...and now found out the sad news that the latitude bolt is bent which wasn't letting me go down to 25 degrees when installing the motors :) Very very racked off....think i'm going to go back to my beloved dobson

You need to get some of these:

EQ5, CG5 Replacement upgrade Altitude Adjustment Bolts | eBay

I had to replace mine.

Far more superior than the original soft,bendy ones:mad:

Wayne

How do you get the bent bolts out - do the straighten as you unscrew them - are they too soft to damage the threads?

Not a clue, I keep trying to prize it out but no luck..there is only a small amount of leeway that it will rotate and then it becomes jammed and very stiff. Don't really want to force it out as it might damage the mount, but I think thats the only way that it's gunna come out :icon_confused:Definately going to buy those from astrodevelopments as I can't go through this again, missing all these clear nights!

Not a clue, I keep trying to prize it out but no luck..there is only a small amount of leeway that it will rotate and then it becomes jammed and very stiff. Don't really want to force it out as it might damage the mount, but I think thats the only way that it's gunna come out :icon_confused:Definately going to buy those from astrodevelopments as I can't go through this again, missing all these clear nights!

When it tightens up and jams,you are hitting the bent part of the bolt.....:)

With mine,I went very slowly unscrewing about 1/4 of a turn then screwing the bolt back in a little.

Cleared the bend after about 1 1/2 turns.

Then the bolts totally unscrewed.

A little bit of alloy metal dust was noticed whilst unscrewing the bent bolts from the mount.

Both of my mount threads were fine after removal.:p

Wayne

Archived