Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cocoon closer

ollypenrice

OK, last nightwe got the best Ha data ever on this, it processed beautifully, and added precisely nothing to the final LRGB which already had the same data, clearly. Boo Hoo!!!

So this has 4.5 Hrs OSC from last year taken with Yves and 1/1/1 hr RGB and 2 Hrs Lum taken with Branchman this week. All TEC140 and the Atik 4000s on the EM200 mount.

Olly

LRGB-OSC-COCOON-X2.jpg

Really nice Olly, how do you get the stars to look so "alive" in my double cluster image they lack that sparkle.

Thanks Earl, I tend to try to wipe the luminance layer off the stars, though in nebulae this can be tricky or impossible. I Use Noel's Make Stars Smaller and Increase Star Colour but only when I have the colours right. (Pixinsight and by hand.) I use colour select to identify sad looking star colours and then adust the colour in Selective Colour, Colour Balance, Saturation or Match Colour/Colour intensity.

After any star reduction I usually lift the brightness of the reduced stars to perk them up again.

For a few large stars I reduce using an action I wrote. It uses the Pinch filter, Redial Blur and Unsharp mask.

Olly

One really get an idea about the infinity number of stars in our universe by this picture. Not really any distant galaxies in there though.

This part of the Milky Way, as you see in the picture, is very dusty. The brown dust lane is only part of the story though; the background sky is abnormally black around many of these dusty obects (like the Iris). I suppose this is because it's thick with obscuring dust and not sufficiently transparent to let distant galaxies show through.

Olly

Archived