Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horizon 8115 tripod

Timbo

Hello All,

Could anyone comment on what sensible OTA I could mount mnot the Horizon 8115?

Perhaps the Skymax 102 or Startravel 102?

The tripod will easily handle bins of not too large an aperture I imagine.

I have taken delivery of the 8115 with the option of exchanging it for the AZ4. FLO has very kindly said that I could look at the 8115 and change if needed.

Tim

Smeg, thanks for your reply.

Ah, I haven't thought down that route but I imagine that a small scope could be fixed to the base.

Weightwise then your 100mm bins would be similar to a small mak?

Btw, I like yer SGL moniker :p

Tim

not sure about what it can handle but weight and focal length create different issues.

have you considered making a tripod from timber? it's dead easy and will be a lot more sturdy. doesn't have to be fancy and straight lengths cut square would be good enough.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm wanting to mount something like a ST102 or Skymax 102 on a grab n go mount. Hence my questions on the 8115.

Those 100mm bins of yours Gaz would probably weigh more than either of these two 'scopes - I'm guessing of course.

Perhaps the AZ4 is the way to go, being sturdier and future-proof, if not as tall or as light. Oh, I couldn't trust myself with some wood, a hammer and nails!

Tim

Oh thanks Gaz,

I have been given the option to change the 8115 for the AZ4. Perhaps that is my best option, what do you think?

I'm trying to limit the amount of kit I own for simplicity. I guess that the AZ4 would not hold the Binos, hence that's why you own both?

Perhaps keep the 8115 for binos? I do enjoy mine.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Tim

TBH Tim I got the Horizon S/H as a package with the 25x100 binos and I've not got around to selling it on. The AZ4 comes with an adaptor (which I havn't got around to using) so will take binos and the AZ4 will take FAR more weight.

A lot depends on how portable you want the setup to be, the Horizon is lighter, but IMHO the AZ4 is worth the extra weight for the size of telescope it allows you to use. If you just want to use smaller binos then its a harder call as then the Horizon comes into its own.

Archived