Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

whats mars like through a 127mm mak

captaincaveman

could i expect similar in a 5" mak with a barlow?

could i get an image that i could make sketchs of darker regions?

No harm in keeping an eye on it, but Mars really is tiny at the momment.

Should get a bit more interesting after Christmas for owners of smaller scopes, when the apparent size will be double what it currently is.

CC,

Your 5" Mak is capable of x200 which will be enough for sketching when Mars is close to opposition.

If you ensure the scope is well collimated and fully cooled you will see Martian surface markings.

You don't need a barlow, a good 7mm eyepiece is all you need to give a magnification of x214 which is plenty.

Mars has a natural fascination for us but is a tough prospect to view through the sort of scopes that many of us own - especially if you have got used to the "luxury" of Saturn and especially Jupiter's large apparent disks :p

It's still well worth seeking out and giving some attention to but it's really quite a test of observer, scope and seeing conditions to pick out the details on it.

March 2010 I was getting superb views of Mars in the 127 MAK. Polar caps and some contrasted detail were clearly visible. Mars is small even when it's at it's best but the MAK is more than capable of showing some detail. Unfortunately Mars is not at it's closest at the moment and it won't be for some time to come.

Archived