Finder advice

Smeg, double sided carpet tape is more than strong enough to hold a Telrad in position and you can 'roll' it off with the thumb if you want it removed. Nereid3, The Telrad is very easy to use or perhaps the Rigel Quickfinder is you find the Telrad a bit too big approx. (210mm(L) x 50mm(H) x 45mm (W)

James

Both those Baader RDF's are pretty good, although the "bullseye" circles of the Telrad and the Rigel Quikfinder make them more help in star hopping, in my opinion.

I've used the Rigel on a refractor - it's "footprint" is pretty small and the tape, though firm, can be removed if needed with a little white spirit.

Because they're made by Telrad not skywatcer, Meade, Celestron.......etc.

You wouldn't get a new Ford with VW alloys would you?

Regards Steve

Even a standard cheap RDF would be better no?

Is there a patent issue that prevents other makers doing their own?

I would guess that there is some form of patent on the Telrad - but I don't know for sure - however, if Celestron was to make a Telrad they would double the price just because it had the Celestron name on it - compare a Celestron power tank (about £100) to a Maplins jump starter (about £30) both do the job....

I would guess that there is some form of patent on the Telrad - but I don't know for sure - however, if Celestron was to make a Telrad they would double the price just because it had the Celestron name on it - compare a Celestron power tank (about £100) to a Maplins jump starter (about £30) both do the job....

Yeah tell me about Maplin's quality. I got a PSU, sure it supplies power, just not much good when you need it to power a radio, it swamps out much of the bands :p

So telrads are so awesome, why aren't they standard?

Why do we get crappy finder scopes instead?

Same reason scopes are supplied with low quality eyepieces - to keep manufacture costs down and to hit a price point.

Is there a patent issue that prevents other makers doing their own?

The Telrad and Rigel's are patented, yes. The other types are cloned all over the place.

Because they're made by Telrad not skywatcer, Meade, Celestron.......etc.

You wouldn't get a new Ford with VW alloys would you?

Regards Steve

Some of the Ford and VW group's people carriers have the same parts, but can Telrad manufacture sufficient quantities? Also consider the importance of the Synta and Meade Bottom Lines.

Thanks for hi-jacking my thread Smeg!!!!

Sorry about that - I should have stayed on topic as well :p

Did you get any useful info from the thread ?

Are you looking for a replacement for the Orion 9x50 or something to compliment it ?.

Thanks guys, I am having some problems actually getting the scope lined up, for some reason it displays UK time and not local Cretan time (we are +2hrs ahead of the UK). Do doubt it is down to me goofing up. Martin_devon(a fellow cpc owner) has given me sound some advice on this issue and I will give it a go tomorrow night weather permitting. I just want another string to my bow when it comes to locating.objects. It is a real pain not having a fellow 'astronomer' out here to put me right. Hence my constant stream of questions.

Cheers

Archived