NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PowerTank and CG5

ChrisEdu

I've got the smaller sized PowerTank that I have been using to run my scopes. However, recently, I have noticed the power seems to be draining rather more quickly than previously. Whereas before I'd get a good 5-6 hours observing, lately I've been getting 3, if lucky. :glasses2: Could this be down to the heavier dew that I have noticed forming lately, or could it be that the CG5 is just a lot more power hungry than my NexStar 4SE mount?

Other than getting the larger PowerTank, what would an easy and relatively cheap alternative be?

From personal experience and reading many comments, the CG5 needs 2.5 amps to run properly. It likes to eat power. The 4SE is much more compact and needs to move only the scope and motors. A CG5 is usually moving a counterweight and a decent sized scope (im guessing your C11 is on there) along with the motors, so the extra weight requires more power. I run mine from a AC adapter and a very long extension cord. Im guessing you want something portable if you are using a power tank, you may just need a bigger one. Keep looking around, there is always a creative solution out there. Good luck:)

I've got a 17.2amp hour power tank and it ran my 6SE and dew heaters fine, but is not happy with the CG5 GT. The SE mounts only needed .75 amp whereas, as stated above, the CG5 actually draws 2.5 amps. It's a much sturdier mount doing alot more work. I'm lucky that I can run mine from a mains supply so it's not a problem for me.

If you absolutely have to use a power tank, then you probably do need a beefier one.

Regards

John

what i did was go to your local car accesories shop and buy a 70a/h battery cost you around £60 but you can run everything of it and still have loads of reserve

How do you modify the car battery to be suitable for running things, i.e. how do you add the sockets?

How do you modify the car battery to be suitable for running things, i.e. how do you add the sockets?

i bought a socket from maplins(car cigarette socket) soldered some cable to it and fused it. i also bought a splitter which plugs in and gave me 2 sockets in all, that was from maplins as well, it also tells you the state of charge on the battery. works a treat

i bought a socket from maplins(car cigarette socket) soldered some cable to it and fused it. i also bought a splitter which plugs in and gave me 2 sockets in all, that was from maplins as well, it also tells you the state of charge on the battery. works a treat

Any chance you might be able to point me towards the bits that you used? What size fuse did you use? Would it be feasible to run household 2.5mm cable from a car battery to a fused spur box and then attach the cigarette sockets from the fused box?

Yes, the one I have is a triple stage electronic charger - provides a thumping hi current when the battery is flat (#1), gives a steady current to get the battery up to scratch (#2), and then just keeps it topped up (#3) - no overcharging, no cooking of batteries. (I got mine in Oz many years ago - there will be a local equivalent)

Archived