Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need a new mount!

nitram100

Hi guys, im finally fed up with my crappy GEM1 mount that came with my 10" f4.8 orion optics newt, so i am looking for a new one, my main requirement is that i can focus without the image dancing all over the fov, because when i focus with this mount the image will dance around like crazy and by the time it settles down, it's gone from the eyepiece!

So basically, what would be a better option, a GPDX, HEQ5 or an EQ6, goto isn't that important!

My tube weight is about 12-13kg's.

Thanks for any info!

Martin

Thanks for the prompt replies fellas, sounds like the eq6 is the way to go then, do you think i'd be able to focus with relatively little vibration in the image?

I've heard that the eq6 is a heavy git, im only 5'6 but im quite young at 23 so it should be cool!

Thanks again,

Martin

Agree with Gordon, the twisting action of long scope tubes is a bit of a problem.

At least you will have eliminated the shake from the mount which will be most of what

you were getting.

From then, look around for a better quality dovetail bar, and if possible get two

and mount one on each side of the OTA rings. This will stiffen things up even more 8)

Martin,

I have a 10" Skywatcher on an EQ6 Pro mount. I'm 5'7" and 57 years old and I don't find the mount too heavy to carry.

I break it down into tripod, mount, 3 counterweights and the OTA. The most difficult for me is the OTA. It is easy enough to carry using the dovetail bar as a handle, but lifting it onto the mount is quite awkward, but with practice it gets easier.

I don't know what the load limit is for an EQ6, but it seems to handle my OTA and counterweights - each one being 5.1 kg.

When it is set up, it is as solid as a rock.

Mike

Mike, Had that setup too (EQ6 with OO DX250). Even with the EQ6 the image will dance, as Gaz says it's the moment arm due to the long tube. But also the lightweight tube OO use is not as rigid as it should. Adding the top dovetail does add rigidity. But by far the best addition is a Skywatcher or Orion USA Accufocus (electric focus mod with hand controller). They simply bolt onto the bottom of the Orion Optics focuser and then there's no touching the scope at all. It's a simple and relatively cheap (£47) gizmo that works wonders.

Russ

Thanks Russ and Gaz.

I have a second dovetail. I'll attach it, it should make handling the OTA much easier. Do you know where I can get the necessary bolts?

I've not had too much problem with the image dancing when focussing, but I can see the advantages, so I'll add an electric focuser to my wish list.

Sorry Martin, I seem to have nicked the thread.

Mike

Archived