NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First Pictures of Saturn & Venus!

philsail1

Dear All,

Here are two photos - one of Saturn and one of Venus. They were taken through my new Skywatcher Explorer 200mm Reflector (on HEQ5 mount), using 10mm Antares Plossl, and a Canon A520 compact Digital Camera set at F5.0 and a 1/8th second shutter speed. I set the camera on a 10 second timer (to allow the shakes to stop). I processed both shots using a basic "Picasa" free download from the internet. They were single unstacked images. The night sky was a bit hazy tonight (Saturday 14th April at 8.35pm). Very warm, with a fair bit of heat shimmer rising from the surrounding houses. (that's my excuse anyway!). These two were about the best of some 30+ photos in total. image.jpg image.jpg

Regards,

Philsail1

No excuses required at all Phil, they are two very good captures. They are both fairly well focused, and sharp. Venus is always a difficult subject to image. Saturn looks very good to me. Did you hand hold the camera, or do you have some sort of cradle to position it close to your eyepiece?

Anyhow, for being a first effort, you have done a good job, and you can be happy with those.

Ron. :D

Dear all, Thanks for encouraging comments! I did use a camera mounting bracket I bought some time ago from "Scopes n' Skies" for £29.00. (Here is picture). image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThis bracket is excellent and easy to set up and use. It's quite heavy, and because of the "thickness" of the clamping section, you do have to extract (when using a small 10mm lens) the body of the lens out of the telescopes focusser to allow the bracket to grip the body of the lens. (The bracket only grips the body lightly, so there's no danger of doing any damage to the lens.

I did have another type of bracket (I'll show a photo if I can find one). Again, this came from "Scopes n' Skies." It was good, but a bit more difficult to set up - you had to set it up in the house, with lens attached, then take it out to the telescope (it was a bit too difficult to locate the "allen" keys to adjust it in the dark).

image.jpg

I,m sorry moderators, if I have posted this on the wrong site - perhaps I should have put it on the equipement discussion site?

Regards,

Philsail1

Archived