Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

warm room

noakesy

Wouldn't use plasterboard, 4mm or 6mm ply for internal walls. If you don't have a obsy, but just want a warm room the simplest way would be to buy a small 5' x 7 shed, line the inside with 25mm styrene insulation and 6mm ply. If space is tight then a 6 x 4 shed would be the minimum.

Mine's 8' x 7' and attached to the observatory, and has a desk, lots of storage space, and the essential tea and coffee facilities :)

63294d1310506541t-observatory-build-underway-img_0327.jpg

After last nigh one thing I need to look at is some form of low level background heating, and even with the insulation at 3am it was ruddy cold (but still warmer than out in the observatory !)

Ahh yes seem to remember your other post requesting help.

To be honest using wooden doors isn't ideal. You would be better off popping down to Wickes and getting 50 or so lengths of studding and around 10 sheets of 4mm ply and then line out half the garage... you should still have change out of £200.

There's an old saying my father used to tell me, "if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing it right" and to be frank, using old doors (unless they are all the same and can easily be stripped) might not be the ideal way

To be honest using wooden doors isn't ideal. You would be better off popping down to Wickes and getting 50 or so lengths of studding and around 10 sheets of 4mm ply and then line out half the garage... you should still have change out of £200.

One little tip, never buy any building materials from Wickes. They are not cheap, and most of what they sell is of dubious quality. Specially their wood and home brand products.

Regards Steve

Yes, I agree, I checked and found a timber yard not far away from us (4 or 5 miles) that did timber at something like half the price of Wickes. They'd cut you any size and any length up to 4.8m too. Pressure treatment to stop rot added just 10% to the price. I've recently bought £600 of timber from them and quite satisfied. I've gone off Wickes.

Archived