Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a good idea if it works? how many ufo reports will happen!

Daniel-K

Seems a bit unlikely. For a start, 12 miles of hose will be very heavy, to say nothing of the weight of the water and everything else that will travel up the hose.

Is it possible to pump liquid 12 miles straight up?

Besides, we have spent the last 100 years or so pumping rubbish into our atmosphere, why do we want to speed up the process? Or have I missed something here?

Liz

Science in the Daily Mail...

The engineering is stretching the limits of what is possible. Who would pay for these baloons?

My main issue is that models of the atmosphere are not accurate enough to predict what would happen and this would be a dangerous experiment on our own planet.

I rarely read a newspaper but was on holiday when this came out and had bought a newspaper for the fun of it - I had to check that it wasn't from April! Crazy, potentially dangerous idea that can't be 'undone' and from an astronomy perspective a real spoiler!

Archived