Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 150mm 6" Pro Series Maksutov Scope

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Peter and John and I am gonna have a look online at Pulsar Opticals and First Light Optics and have someone that will buy my Skywatcher 127 5" Skymax Maksutov and then I will buy something bigger but portable but equatorial mounts are heavy compared to the AZ Goto Mounts but need something that is portable:) Thanks and glad to be on Stargazers Lounge:hello2:

@ Cornelius Varley, What's your Skywatcher 150mm 6" Maksutov like performance wise and is it the pro series you which has the black tube with white trimmings. I have the 5" Skymax Mak by Skywatcher but for portability i may get one but feel that there is not gonna be a lot of difference to the 5" version I have but gonna think about it and look online for alternatives and i am on a budget also. Thanks

Thanks Ags, I have a AZ Goto Mount and have found the Synscan very difficult to set up no matter what i do and kind of given up on it really so a EQ5 mount and either a Skywatcher Pro Series Mak 150mm 6" or 180mm which I think and correct me if i am wrong is an 8" one but as i am on a budget to a certain extent and would take longer to afford the 180mm but gonna see how it goes. A 180mm Mak maybe not as portable which is important to me that I can carry it so that is why the 150mm 6" is on my mind but how heavy is a EQ5 mount by Skywatcher and also would like to get a drive with handset so I can operate and move the mount/scope around like I have with my SW Skymax 127mm 5" Maksutov Scope. Thanks

Goto can be surprisingly tricky - my SE mount was acting up tonight, but I managed to snap my first DSO after all.

You're right about portability - bigger maks are not portable. with their weight and long focal length, they need a serious mount.

Perhaps you should look to a 8" dob - more light gathering and the aperture gives you higher resolution on the planets. Also; the central obstruction is smaller on the dob than a mak, so they have (theoretically) better contrast, if well collimated.

Does anyone know if a Skywatcher Synscan Handset can be fitted on a Skywatcher EQ-5 mount at all and also can a Skywatcher 150mm 6" Pro Series Maksutov Telescope be fitted on a Skywatcher (WHITE) EQ-5 mount at all. Thanks :) :)

I believe the Synscan handset can be added onto the EQ5, but you'll have to have the synscan control board and motors fitted. It can't go onto the standard EQ5.

On the other hand, the Skymax 150 would go nicely with the EQ5 :).

Tony..

• 6 years later...

Archived