NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory - The Build

Gina

In Oz there are many different types of sheets used for "sarking"

The one you shows looks OK. Fit to the outer surface of the wall structure and allow an overhang past the floor level.

The Shiplap I used had several large knot holes which were potentially a leak waiting to happen, especially those in the joins. No risk of leaks now.

I took mine down passed the DPC, and level with the bottom of the first panel.

Ah yes, Screwfix is a couple of quid cheaper and their delivery a quid cheaper. Without other things added this gets nowhere near the free delivery threshold for either supplier.

Seems a good idea to use it :) I'll order it tomorrow morning and should get it Friday - just in time for doing the shiplap on

Saturday.

I think at the time I bought mine the prices were the same at both supplier. Wickes was closer so I got it there.

I think you're wise to use it Gina. It's pieces of mind, and trying to find the source of a leak is a bind at best.

Good luck with the Shiplap on Saturday. I also have been promised my roof goes on on Saturday. Hopefully we should between us have some photos to share on Saturday night.:)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've ordered the vapour barrier from Wickes as there were a few other things I wanted and that all came well above their delivery threshold. Screwfix, although cheaper for some things, don't do some of the things I want in single quantities and no way did I want 10 of them! Delivery scheduled for tomorrow morning - wanted to be sure of getting it.

I've draped my new tarp over the building allowing the wind to blow through and dry it up. I'll drop the east side if it starts to rain - wind from SE.

The timber seems to have dried nicely now. Nice breeze today and dry with some sunshine. NOT the rain that was forecast :D:eek:

Dropped the tarp sides down before dark and it's nice and snug now :p The new tarp is a fair bit bigger than the building an encloses it completely. It's nice and strong and heavy.

Not build progress today as such but progress in the sense of getting the timber of the building dried out from recent rain and heavy dews and getting the new, larger, tougher and heavier tarp over it to keep it dry.

With rain forecast for midday onwards (if not sooner) I took the opportunity of getting the tarp on ASAP. As it happens, apart from a few spots, we've had no rain all day!

With the weight and size of the new tarp I thought I would have difficulty in dragging it up over the building from the ground (I had quite a lot of trouble with the old, smaller and lighter one) so decided to open it up on the roof and drape the sides over the edges of the roof. It was a bit heavy to lift up onto the roof but I managed it alright and once up there it was easy enough to unfold and work out over the roof edge.

I did a "dummy run" unrolling the bundle inside the obsy to try to work out which way it was folded - length v width. Then I rolled it up again to take up onto the roof.

After unfolding it over the roof and positioning it, I lifted up the ends and wedged them so that the breeze could blow through and continue the drying. Just before dark I dropped the ends back down and tucked the ends and sides under the floor, for maximum protection and in lieu of roping it down. With only moderate breezes forecast, roping down didn't seem necessary.

Today's pics are all webcam images of the tarp going on.

2011-11-10-01.jpg

2011-11-10-02.jpg

2011-11-10-03.jpg

2011-11-10-04.jpg

2011-11-10-05.jpg

2011-11-10-06.jpg

2011-11-10-07.jpg

2011-11-10-08.jpg

2011-11-10-09.jpg

2011-11-10-10.jpg

2011-11-10-10.jpg

2011-11-10-11.jpg

2011-11-10-12.jpg

2011-11-10-13.jpg

2011-11-10-14.jpg

2011-11-10-15.jpg

2011-11-10-16.jpg

2011-11-10-17.jpg

Weather forecast... PAH!!! Light winds forecast but strong wind overnight has blown my tarp right off! :D At least it's fine ATM but heavy rain is forecast in the next few hours so I'm off out to see if I can get it back on. I'm NOT going up on the roof in this wind! So going to have to try and work it up over the top against the wind. Watch my antics on webcam shortly!! :G Wind currently F5 to F6.

"We are not amused"!!!! :D Wickes have let me down yet again! Promised delivery AM today and it's not here! :eek:

Mind you Screwfix aren't much better their "Next Day" is the day after! :p

I tried to estimate how big my next scope would look/be in the obsy yesterday having put my current one on the mount. With the new scope being twice as big in all dimensions, headroom could be a little close with the roof closed with the mount on the extension. But I'll have to wait and see - I think it'll just about clear the roof members.

My current little 5" reflector looks like a toy on the massive NEQ6 Pro mount :D A 10" will really look the part I think :p

It's alright, I'm just cheering myself up in this miserable, wet, windy and downright depressing day!! :) I'm just wondering if I shall be able to afford to buy myself a nice Christmas present :eek:

Took tarp off and folded it up. I'm sure it's bigger than I ordered :eek: Certainly seemed huge spread out on our "lawn" and it was definitely bigger than I needed to cover the building. Oh well... hopefully won't need it any more - shiplap cladding going on tomorrow unless some catastrophe occurs. Like unexpected rain!

Hopefully we'll be able to put on a good webcam show tomorrow :p The end is in sight :) :) Yippee! :D

Fine weather today with a light breeze and very mild. Several hours of sunshine :D However, with yesterday's heavy ran and a heavy dew everything not covered up was dripping with water. Also yesterday's rain had formed large puddles in the tarp and these took quite a lot of lifting and pouring away. The weight of water holding the tarp down under the floor made it difficult to pull clear. I think it would have withstood a gale without being fastened down!

So some time was taken up getting the tarp off the building. Yet more time was taken up folding it up for stowing away! That was today's activity on the obsy build. Other time was needed to go out and get goat feed. So no actual build progress today.

Just webcam images today of removing tarp and folding it up. The first pic shows a large puddle at the front of the tarp as seen from the webcam.

2011-11-12-01.jpg

2011-11-12-02.jpg

2011-11-12-03.jpg

2011-11-12-04.jpg

2011-11-12-05.jpg

2011-11-12-06.jpg

2011-11-12-07.jpg

2011-11-12-08.jpg

2011-11-12-09.jpg

2011-11-12-10.jpg

2011-11-12-11.jpg

2011-11-12-12.jpg

2011-11-12-13.jpg

2011-11-12-14.jpg

2011-11-12-15.jpg

2011-11-12-16.jpg

That's one big tarp you have there Gina! Hope all goes well with the clading.
Thank you :eek: Yes, it's bigger than I wanted really - as I said earlier I'm sure it's bigger than I ordered :D Or perhaps I got my calculations wrong.

Help is due to arrive around 10am - looking out now :D They have a 3 hour drive so much depends on road conditions and traffic.

Webcam is live but looking into the sun. Fine and sunny, quite mild but with a brisk breeze making it feel much colder.

Archived