Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting more from the Veil

Phil4130

I managed to bag the Veil Nebula last night for the first time. Cygnus was very high up in the sky so I thought I'd have a crack at it. I used a O-III Narrowband and 85x mag on my 10" dob . It didnt stand out to me at first , but I used a rocking motion on my scope and averted vision . It then popped out at me . It was sooo faint though , nothing like the glorious images that other have captured on this sight. My question is , are dark skies the only cure for this? I live in a highly light polluted area (Stellarium Level 8)

You will never see it like you do in an image though, no matter how dark your skies are.

Hmm!:( It's pretty close structure wise,( from truly dark skies) The amount of fine filamentary structure that can be seen with a large scope is not far behind most AP's.

An O-III filter coupled with a large scope really brings amazing amounts of detail on this object.

Although obviously a large scopes field cannot give a view of the whole loop.

Regards Steve

A good sky makes all the difference. I've seen the veil in my old 6" scope (with an Anatres LPR filter) and it loked great. I also looked through a 10" (not sure what filter he was using) and there was amazing detail.

Get to a good sky. You can see the whole loop in a 70mm Pronto here with an O111 filter. Not bright but no experienced observer could miss it. In the 20 inch it is just plan bright with an O111 filter. Pickerings, the lot. I truly love it and never ever tire of it. I don't have a 2 inch UHC but would like to try one some time.

If you can see it from a bad site you obviously know what you're doing.

Olly

Defo`worth a trip to a dark site.

Saw the veil for 1st time last year at Kelling with 80ed & loaned oiii filter.

Not seen it since,despite many attempts!.... until last night when i got out of town.

No problem picking up the eastern part with st102 @ 25x, direct vision & no filter!!

& that was a suprise, kinda made up for it clouding over only 40mins later.:p

I managed to glimpse the eastern portion with my 15x70 binoculars on a really dark night a couple of weeks back - it needed averted vision but the binocs were unfiltered. 1st time I've managed to see it without a scope.

Archived