Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A grand tour!

ChrisEdu

Finally, I've been able to get my C11/CG5 combo reasonably well set-up and polar aligned well enough for observing, at least.

I managed to get the star alignment completed successfully and found the scope slewing round to objects with reasonable accuracy, so I decided to go on a voyage!

All observing tongiht was done with the Celestron E-Lux 40mm Plossl.

I started the eveing with M13, which was very nice to view. From there I went to M57, which showed a very clear ring and was easily visible with direct vision.

Next, as it was in the neighbourhood, Comet Garradd, which I still think is one of the least impressive comets I've seen!

From there, I went to Bode's nebula. Fuzzy and pale sum that target up! I then tried M33 but was unable to see it. Moving on, I went for M52. This was very clear and showed lots of stars with HIP115542 very clear.

I then moved on to M39, which wasclear and large in the EP; I'm not sure I got it all in the FOV. Next stop, M29. This was very clear with lots of detail.

Feeling that things were going well, my next target was NGC6826 - the Blinking Planetary Nebula. This was an interesting target, showing a definite aura of nebulosity.

From there, I went to M15. This was small in the FOV but clear and looked a bit like a galaxy in the EP.

I then tried for NGC7006 but I'm not sure that I got it! I suspect that what I actually saw was HIP103868.

Next, I moved on to M32, which with the moon glaring away, was just about visible. Moving to M31, I found the seeing much easier. From there I tried M110 but couldn't make out anything in the EP.

Next Polaris and the C11 did a lovely job of splitting it, with the two stars appearing clearly apart.

From there I went to M76 which was vert faint, requiring averted vision to observe it. Next was M71, which was lovely. It appeared quite large in the EP and showed lots of stars.

M27 was large but faint, requiring averted vision. Tonight, it appeared as a large smudge in the EP, without much discernable shape.

I decided the next target was NGC7662, the Blue Snowball. This appeared nice and clearly, probably measuring about 5mm in the EP. With this, I found that I could see it better if I blinked!

M103 was very clear and showed a lovely, golden coloured star towards the middle.

Finally, I've seen Uranus! After about 3 years of trying, I have finally tracked down every school boy's favourite! :( Okay, it's not necessarily much to write home about, but it was certainly discernable from other celestial bodies.

Of course, I also fitted in Jupiter, which was looking really good, with nice clear banding, and the moon.

So, there we go, not a bad evening's viewing, on the whole! It was a shame that dew prevented me from using some of the other eyepieces and eventually affected the C11, despite the big dew shield. I guess some dew bands are going to be required soon!

Now, if only I could workout how to get some images with the CPC900NC via the C11, I'd be a very happy space bunny! :)

Ill make sure not to let you know the location then to avoid that problem. ;P

I remeber you at Bignor blinding us with that horrid white light. ;P

Hmm......should I mention Kelling? ;)

The worst light at Bignor was that muppet that drove past and shone that bright torch at us.:p

BTW, linking an SPC900NC to the scope is most easily done using a flip-mirror (I have a Vixen, which fits into the 2" back I put on my C8). You insert the EP of choice into the 90 deg 1.25" port, and the nosepiece of the camera into the "straight through" port (with barlow usually for planets). This allows you to line up the object you want to image in the EP port, flip the mirror up, and you have the object in the centre. You generally do need to refocus.

BTW, linking an SPC900NC to the scope is most easily done using a flip-mirror (I have a Vixen, which fits into the 2" back I put on my C8). You insert the EP of choice into the 90 deg 1.25" port, and the nosepiece of the camera into the "straight through" port (with barlow usually for planets). This allows you to line up the object you want to image in the EP port, flip the mirror up, and you have the object in the centre. You generally do need to refocus.

That sounds like a simpler way to do things. :p

Archived