Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moved me scoping place in the yard.

Got rid of a greenhouse (getting a smaller one) which left me with a nice

8' x 6' concrete pad.

Put up a 6x4 plastic shed next to the pad to hold all my gear and have bashed a hole in the concrete today

to sink in my 4x4 wooden pier that I use for holding the motorised barn door mount.

Going to make a thick plywood block top for the pier to hold my HEQ5 head and can then

do an accurate drift align and mark where the head goes for easy setup.

As an added bonus, the shed at the side of the viewing pad blocks out one of the larger street lights. :D

This new position still gives me a decent south and west view and it also now gives me more of

a view to the east. 8)

Going to fit power to the shed next week and then I can run a beer cooler for the summer :D

shed.jpg

post2.jpg

Not so sure about your 4x4 pier

It's always been suprisingly rigid for it's size Gordon.

Been using it for a couple of years or more now.

The good thing is, it's now 2 feet shorter than it was so it should be

better still. Good thing about wood, it dampens vibrations from the ground quite well.

If it shakes at all I can put plywood triangle braces on each side, rawbolted to the concrete :D

Main thing is, I can do a drift align once and I'm set to go (poor man's observatory)

Hi - just noticed this thread which reminded me of a post I helped with on another forum. One of the products my company manufactures is a garden office (very posh shed) so sadly I know a thing or two about adding security to shed type buildings - would be happy to post some tips if that would help anyone out.

How secure are those plastic sheds?

To be honest, no more or less secure than a wooden one.

It has an intruder siren and the yard has auto lighting (when I've done scoping)

The stuff inside is chain locked together which is pretty much all you can do.

If some [removed word] wants to steal your stuff then he will sadly.

Two reasons I chose the plastic shed...

1/ much cleaner than a wooden one for my scopes etc

2/ This is the very shed that somebody published a roll off obsy conversion for in

a Sky at Night mag some while back (thinking ahead you see) 8)

Pier is now concreted in and very solid.

Next job is to make the top block to hold the HEQ5 head and a couple of addons to mount

my barn door tracker when it's needed or my ALT/AZ mount with setting circles which I use for

Iridium flare spotting/imaging :D

Archived