SW 200p Dob users.......

Hi everyone,

I Just want to ask the members on here that are currently or have in the past used the SW 200p DOB.....

what make, model and size eps did/do you currently use with your scope and whats your favourite??

I have a couple of GSOs and think there ok but ive not had any other eps to compare them with, other than a 12mm bst that personaly i didnt like. I have been saving for the last couple of months why reading reviews ect but still cant decide what make to buy as theres that many, Im due to move house in 3 weeks and will be moving near a darker site (pex hill widnes) than my back garden so i need to make my mind up and buy them bought before i move, i do like the gso's, i was thinking of buying the gso/revelation kit as a cheaper option but i just thought i would ask you guys what yous use first before i go and waste my money,

Thanks guys n girls for taking the time to read my post and thanks for any advice!

Mark.

I am sure the darker skies will do more than any eyepiece ever could, there is no rush?

But I am in a similar situation, I am saving up for some 82 degree eps, so either the SW nirvanas, or the explorer science 82.

I am considering a 6mm orthoscopic as that gives 200x for our dobs, about maximum average on a clear night

I have just moved away from the excellent Baader orthos (5,6 and 7mm). I found them optically excellent but at high powers i spent more time nudging than observing. The Nirvana's would be excellent with your dob although the 4mm probably wouldn't get much use at 300X.

I like the GSO Revelation plossls, with the 32mm, 12mm and 9mm, being the ones I used most.

But I've moved over to using Hyperions and the wider FOV is much better for me. The downside is the sheer size of the EP compared to the plossls, but the 200P Dob can take it.

Still keeping my plossls though :(

Cheers lads,

I noticed theres a couple of TMB design for sale on the sale part of here but would x400 be pushing a 200p? I would need dark dark skies to use this rite?? Is around a 6mm ep be the lowest i should be looking at using?

Thanks,

Mark.

It's not even dark but steady air that you need for thehigh power stuff. We in UK don't tend to get to steady transparent air that someone in a.desert mite. When you lookatthe moon and see it shimmer that's the culprit. It mite be heat of ground but also thegulf stream has an impact.

I'd stickto.w200 ish formax power.

On eye peices I loved my 32 plossl in my first scope. Then upgraded to a 32 sw panaveiw which at 2" was great. I also loved the baader hyperion 17mm. Ive now got a 7mm nirvana.which is.good.

As for.the.tmn I got.a.6mm one and im not that impressed with my f4.7 scope. Mayhem to high mag but think it just doesn't.work for me.

Have fun in your new dark home!

Brian

I use my SW 200mm F/6 Dob for planetary observing and did use 7,6 and 5mm Baader Genuine Orthos but had to nudge too much.

I now use a 7mm Pentax XW, a 6mm TV Radian and a 5mm Pentax XW. Viewing has become very comfortable and I don't have to nudge anywhere near as much.

Thanks brian!

The GSO i have is s 32mm and think its a great ep, seems well built and the views through it are very satisfying, i also have a 15mm GSO but havnt had the chance to use it yet with the weather being poor. I might just stick with me 32mm gso buy the baader hyperion zoom from flo and pick up a nice 6mm ep.

?????????? Until somethin else pops up lol!!!

Thanks.

Hi Twotter. Is that the baader hyperion zoom ep you have? If so Whats it work like in with a DOB?

Mark.

My Hyperions are fixed focal lengths - 8, 13, 17, 24. I do have a zoom but it's a cheaper model - works okay for quick sessions, splitting double stars etc... but the Hyperions are better :(

Archived