Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Understanding skywatcher mount types help.

jbk44

Maybe I should have posted this in the beginners area? I’m getting confused with the skywatcher mounts eq5, heq5, syntrek, synscan, eq6. Neq6 and pro. I think some are goto and some just track, but I have also seen people mention different gears here. Can anyone make this simple to understand for me please? I’m a beginner and as I keep hearing and reading that the best investment is a good mount I’d really like to buy the best one I can with confidence.

Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

synscan is a GoTo, the computer for it is in the handset.

syntrek is a synscan without the handset but with the same motors and motherboard. It can be turned into a GoTo with a laptop running a planetarium program (eg, Carted Du Ciel) and a telescope driver program (EQMOD) and a special cable to connect to the laptop (EQDIR).

"plain" mount has different motors and motherboard and only tracks. It needs hardware modification to do GoTo.

eq5, heq5, eq6, neq6 are all different and the load capacity goes up, left-to-right.

Thanks I’m almost there.

So as I have a laptop that I would be happy to use a ‘syntrek’ would be fine. So does the eq6 syntrek and the synscan have the same gears and able to take the same loads?

Also the software that you mention I guess comes at a price, would running that software be better than using the handset with a synscan?

So does the eq6 syntrek and the synscan have the same gears and able to take the same loads?

Yes, I am pretty sure of that.

Also the software that you mention I guess comes at a price, would running that software be better than using the handset with a synscan?

That is all free software. For imaging, you'd need a laptop anyway (ok, some people do without). For observing, it's quite nice not to have to set a laptop up, so synscan is great for that.

To summarize the EQ zoo, here a little description of all of them.

I added the capability of the counterweight shaft to rotate because this is important for cameras on that side when you use the telescope for guiding only.

** EQ1 **

Small mount for beginner's instruments or as portable solution for travel. No polar finder, counterweight shaft does not rotate, slow motion in dec finite only (spring loaded shaft).

** EQ2 **

Clone of those Japanese Towa mounts we know since the 1970s. No polar scope, counterweight shaft rotates but dec slow motion still finite spring loaded shaft.

** EQ3 **

Bit of a linear combination between a Vixen New Polaris and the GP, this one is the the first size with polar scope and infinite slow motion in both axes by worm wheels - hence GoTo is available. The counterweight shaft does not rotate.

This mount is also known under "EQ3-2" and "NEQ3", the latter being white. Also available as NEQ3 Synscan with full GOTO.

** EQ4 **

Does not exist any longer. It was a 100% clone of the Vixen GP and after a lawsuit it got banned from being sold. I had one of these (bought 1998), it looked perfectly like a GP. It has worm wheels in both axes and a polar scope. The counterweight shaft rotates.

** EQ5 **

Synta's answer to the EQ4 ban: A beefed up version with ball bearings in the RA axis. While it looks different to a GP now, is is the same league. Polar scope, worm wheels in both axles and a corotating counterweight shaft.

Also known as NEQ5 in white paint. The old EQ5 came with a flimsy aluminium tripod that wobbled due to torsion in combination with the plastic attachment bits. Newer versions have the stainless steel tripod that is more sturdy - the attachments are out of metal now. Also available als NEQ5 Synscan with full GOTO.

** HEQ5 **

For all it sounds EQ5-ish, this one is rather a "beefed-down" version of the EQ6 which hit the market earlier. As it is smaller they had to put a smaller number on, while the "H" means it is bigger than the EQ5. The mount has the bulky housing where the dual axis drive is built in. In contrast to the EQ6 it is lighter - also due to some parts of the housing cover being of plastic. The corotating counterweight shaft can be pushed into the mount body for transport. Comes with stainless steel tube tripod.

Versions of this mount:

HEQ5 or HEQ5 Classic: Black mount with simple dual axis drive

HEQ5 Syntrek: White mount with dual axis controller and more powerful motors and better gears between the motors and the worm --> higher tracking accuracy.

HEQ5 synscan: As Syntrek but with full GOTO.

** EQ 6 **

The current flagship of Synta/Skywatcher. Very bulky and heavy mount with built in motor drives. Corotating counterweight shaft can be sunk into mount for transport. Comes with stainless steel tube tripod.

Versions are:

EQ6 / EQ6 classic: First version of the mount - black with basic dual axis controller (up to 16x speed). A good work horse for visual and webcam observers but large periodic errors mostly caused by the gear train between the motors and the worm.

EQ6 pro: White version with improved gears and motors and dramatically improved tracking accuracy. Sub-versions are:

EQ6 syntrek: Improved motor/gear train but no GOTO. Aimed at astrophotographers who are non-GOTO users

EQ6 synscan: GOTO version of that mount

NEQ6 synscan: From 2008'ish on the "N" occured. While at first nothing changed, the mount now comes with the two dovetail pucks (Vixen/Losmnandy) and the counterweight shaft extension.

Science fiction now:

** EQ7 ** - announced as bigger version of EQ6. Later withdrawn and replaced by the EQ8.

** EQ8 ** - pictures of a prototype as seen at the Photokina in Cologne looked promising albeit this mount was at an early stage and it had still some design faults. However, current rumours (autum 2011) are that this mount has been withdrawn as well.

I hope this sheds some light into the EQ zoo. :) :)

I wrote this all off my memory - if you find any mistake just reply.

One key issue is the differences of the motors and motor board re upgrade capabilities to full GOTO (and Synscan control)

The basic units (Syntrak?) don't have the same motors/ mother board as the HEQ/NEQ series (both the Syntrek/ Synscan) and hence require an expensive "re-fit" to achieve the final level)

Hi Merlin,

the upgrade from SYNTREK to SYNSCAN does only require the change of the handset. The electronics in the mount and the motors remain the same.

The CLASSIC black series needs the complete refit - motors, gears, chipboard, handset and it is questionable if it is not more advisable to flog the mount and buy a new one.

Astrogeordie. Many thanks for your description and clarification.

A great pity that Skywatcher can't be bothered to put something along these lines into their sales leaflets or web pages.

I agree, some really good info here now.

Hiya,

thanks for your comments. I reckon if Skywatcher whould put such a description to their webpage they would omit the "clone" bits, especially the EQ4. :)

But I agree that something like a table or a tree diagram would help to find the way through the EQ forest. :(

When the first Synta scopes hit the market, I was student with little money. That is the reason I know the evolution so well. ;)

Maybe at the end of my life when I am sitting at my desk with the pacemaker mobile ornament dangling over my head, I will be able to write "The history of the EQ mounts".

The CLASSIC black series needs the complete refit - motors, gears, chipboard, handset and it is questionable if it is not more advisable to flog the mount and buy a new one.

I'd disagree with that. I bought the upgrade kit and got it fitted and working in about an hour, very straightforward.

Hi guys

I'm kind of new to all this and have had a setup for just over two years.

I've just got myself a skywatcher 7" tube and are now after a HEQ5 mount.

The problem I have is that I already own a Synscan AZ GOTO mount and was wondering if I could use the handset from this on the HEQ5 mount.?

I'm guessing the firmware needs to be flashed and wondered if this has been done before or can be done at all.? Also would the plug connection be the same.?

As you can see I'm just trying to save myself some money rather than buying a HEQ5 mount with GOTO handset using the the one I have already..

Hope someone can help me out before I make a purchase.

Regards andy

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.923950,-0.426716

Hi Andy,

I am doubtful you can simply adapt the controller:

- If you have an HEQ5 classic, the motors will be too slow for GOTO. They are not powerful enough to run the system at high speed.

- The azimuth mount will quite probably have different motors.

- It is a completely different case to control an alt-az mount instead of an EQ mount.

You may check with OWL (the general Skywatcher distributor) but I am sure by 98% this would not work.

What you require:

For the HEQ5 classic you require the full upgrade: Motors, PCB, controller handset.

For the HEQ5 syntrek you still need the handset only.

But I understand you have the black classic version. Normally I would have recommended to sell it and get an HEQ5 pro as the upgrade is quite expensive and you still have to build it, but as "Big Jim Slade" pointed out above, the upgrade seems to be relatively easy to do.

Hi Andy,

Yes the firmware can be flashed between the two devices but the cable is different. The AZ has an RJ11 type connection and the HEQ5 uses an RJ45 so it means getting another cable to suit. But as Merlin suggests only the V3 handset I think can be reflashed.

As you have are thinking of a HEQ5 would I be right in assuming you would like to image?

It is possible to reflah the AZ handset with the EQ firmware, the two handsets are identical. You will need a new handset to mount cable for the EQ mount, this is a standard cat5 network cable. Remember that you will need to reflash the firmware back to the AZ version if you want to reuse the handset with the Az mount and you may lose your location settings when you change from one firmware version to the other.

Peter

Hi guys thanks fir the info.!

Sorry but I wasn't clear enough, it's the HEQ5 pro mount I'm after getting and using the handset from the AZ GOTO mount. The handset version I have is ver.03.07. So I'm guessing it would work then.? Just need to flash the handset and get another cable.? Am I right.?

Thanks again

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.923902,-0.426731

Yes that will do the trick. An alternative that many use is an EQDIR interface and EQMOD/ASCOM software linked up to a planetarium program such as Cartes du Ciel. This does also mean you need a laptop to operate it all.

That's right it is..

This is the one I want to get and put my controller onto. Just wondering if the cable supplied that connects the controller to the mount will fit my controller or if I still need to buy a cable.?

Are these mounts stable.?

I want to put my skywatcher Skymax 7" on it..

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.923904,-0.426738

Archived