Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

suggestions for sites

garethmob

I can give you a lift aswel Gaz so no probs there - I'd check out Davids I Pod before I comit lol

I'm up for an all nighter in Mid Wales in the Autumn though - might take a bit of organising but would be a bit of an astronomical adventure

How'd the research on your two new site go Mat?

I bet that ipods got some ropey music on it :) , i havnt been to them yet steve all weekend ive been decorating ,and laying floors and im off to the cinema tonight but..... im going to the sugar loaf carpark after work on thursday.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Thought it would be better to include it here, after posting on the Lounge thread.

I've been talking to a fellow Archer reciently, and of course Astronomy and observing locations came up in the conversation.

He mentioned he has use of 35 acres of farm land about four miles from Brecon, on which he is presently building an archery range; with possible facilities for overnight. Mike mentioned the fantastic view of the night skies there and how dark the area is. Though he's not into astronomy (yet :grin: ), I think I've sparked an interest. My Wife & I have been invited there for a visit, and encouraged to bring a telescope with us.

Fingers crossed, it may be promising as a group observing site.

PS. Will keep you posted.

Sounds brilliant Mike- will keep an eye on this one. The further North you drive from the Valleys the better the skies are - my brief evening on the Epynt last winter still remains to me the best dark spot I have been locally (just in front of Trecastle on dark skies but slightly behind as theres a road running by it with the occasional car headlight)

I did manage to get down to Lleyn Briane just outside Llandovery a few weeks ago - I think Ant highlighted the spot on this thread earlier on - very remote but a few high sided valley walls to contend with - I took quite a few pictures to report back but I just can't find where I've left them on the PC - I'll get there in the end- but the Brecon farm site sounds great- dark skies, no teen racers - be sure to keep us posted. :grin:

cheers

Steve

Hi Chaps

I have just come bacj from a long weekend of camping in the Brecons at the National Show caves site.

I took my vixen 140 with me on the GP Dx and planned to take some pictures meteors on the mount

Fortunately the weather on Friday was fantastically clear, unfortunately I forgot my tent poles. Fortunately trhere were quite a few meteors. Unfortunately I had forgotten the controller.

Fortunately I had lots of beer to console my self with

Unfortunately the air bed sprang a leak,

Anyway sky report -

No lights, very dark, not the darkest but plenty to naked eye the double cluster, m32 easily, bottom half of acquarius was clear. I can;t say it was as dark as a pitch dark night at Kelling but getting there. We could also see pretty much all of the milky way structure from Cygnus to Cass.

Location lights were absent - that's not to say the site didn't have any, but there were plenty of places to observe from, they are only located on the sparse electricity points and there are no streetlights.

I would also recommend checking out Penwyllt, 2 miles south, there is a road to a place situated on top of the hill where according to the map there is a house platform overlooking the entire valley.

Cheers

Mike

Archived