NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

suggestions for sites

garethmob

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i went up to my "estrainged" parents who i hadnt spoken to for last 5 years as they had offered help to both my brother and sister and i thought as a last shot i give it ago, and i might be moving back into oakdale to where my grandfathers house is as its being renavated and will be ready in 3 months ;)

I found an area near Ystradfellte Reservoir that interests me, just to the west over the hill off the Sarn Helen road. From what I could see on Google Earth & its street view, it may be worth a look. I'll try to check it out this week when I get a chance; couldn't tell if there were gates blocking off the side roads.

The general area is ...

51* 50' 12.00" N

03* 33' 36.00" W

Update: A nice location, but a narrow winding road and no vehicle access allowed for the short distance needed to get to the open area; too far to walk with equipment. :)

Sorry, I forgot to update this thread when I checked the area out a couple of weeks ago.

HMMM I'm giving serious consideration to checking out this spot that Ant highlighted some time ago 52.117034,-3.765231 just short of Lleyn Briane- its an hour and a half drive from where I live which is doable - hard standing, remote, pretty good access and parking - worth a shot in the late summer I think - if anyones interested in an expedition on a Friday or Saturday night I'll post in the group prior to lift off.

51.931671,-3.267746

I've saved it in my google maps folder Matt - I'll repost later in the year - I think for the next few months its got to be local now as the nights are getting shorter all the time but would be glad of the company

We go past Llandovery every other weekend in the summer - might take a day time reccy just to suss it out before we get a night there.

cheers

Steve

agreed Mat - I know Llandovery fairly well though and looking at the map its one straight road out of town but best check it through - like you said don't want any nasty suprises in the middle of no where in the pitch black lol

I was going to go away today but the kids are ill steve :), but the plus side is ive found 2 possible sites one is in a public car park and the other is on private land ( so i will try to find out who owns it ) but the private one is the other side of abergavenny its so dark it makes blaenavon look like cardiff high street!.The public one is the car park that you use to walk the sugar loaf

Sounds great mate- sorry to hear about the kids hope its nothing to worry about.

I'm off up to Oxford in a couple of minutes to pick my daughter up for the weekend and won't get back untiil 10'ish so thats Friday pretty much gone.

Something East of Abergavenny ?- I bet that would be really interesting - did you manage to meet up with Kip after - didn't he have a mate who had a farm out that way or am I confusing things?

Steve and Mat, I attempted a session at llyn brianne reservoir a few years ago. Not at the site that Ant has found but at the reservoir itself. I took a tent to 'wildcamp' so that I didn't have to drive back in the early hours. It was about august time so I was struck down by summer skies because even though it was glorious blue skies all day as soon as night fell the clouds rolled in so I didn't have much luck. I have been there camping without my scope under clear skies and I must say it was inky black and absolutely stunning. I have also checked out a wild site just north of the reservoir which looks perfect but its a much longer drive because it makes sense to approach it from tregaron rather than llandovery. Will be interesting to see what the site that Ant found is like, especially as its that little bit closer.

Thats interesting dave the area around briane is probably so good because of its remoteness . from the south it doesn't look too bad to get to but from the north where no doubt the skies are even better access looks a real challenge.swamp thing gave me a site between trgaron and llandovery but not sure id like to try it in anything other than a 4x4 I think it would be worth it though for that unique dark sky session. Do a little research in the light months before the end of summer will be the key I think:D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

oooo the abergaveny sites sound good mat! my car dosent like long journeys, every time iv done one with in a few days somthing major breaks (last time it was swansea and back, cost an extra 100 with a distro cap, 0 rings for exaust, and somthing else) so im pretty much stuck to being local unless some one can give me a bit of a lift

I can give you a lift aswel Gaz so no probs there - I'd check out Davids I Pod before I comit lol

I'm up for an all nighter in Mid Wales in the Autumn though - might take a bit of organising but would be a bit of an astronomical adventure

How'd the research on your two new site go Mat?

Archived