Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Had an interesting night last night..

geppetto

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at all the drift aligning procedures on the net they all mention orientating the eyepiece crosshairs with north-south and east-west axes of mount, how is this possible with the reticle in k3ccd tools or am i missing something ?

Chub

A great thread, I too discovered the toucam drift alignment ritual a couple of weeks ago. It is defnatly worth the effort. Just out of interest does anyone make a note of which stars they use in the South and East (or West). I use one just above the Beehive in the South (just below in the finderscope). In the East I usually pick one slightly to the right of Arcturus. You'll have to excuse me not using the star names/references as I have no clue :?

Matt

Blimey

You come to check the forum and theres folk twisting and turning their laptops

all over the UK :D

Firstly, apologies to CC, if I'd used the search, I would have found his great little write up :oops:

Yep, turn the webcam in the focuser till the RA tracking runs along the reticle line.

Get the southern star in the middle using the RA/DEC controls and then cure any up/down drifting by adjusting

the mount RA bolts. Then do the same with an eastern star and correct with the DEC bolts

Still can't get version 1 to see my Toucam, will play with that later :D

Now this might be another stupid question but does the webcam have to be a modified one..cant say I have even seen a star when I have my webcam in

I have an unmodified one and it took some time to find even Polaris on the webcam. The problem is that the field of view is so small. Next time I will wait for the moon to be up, it's an easy target to use for getting the focusing done first. Also, I use an aluminium barrel that I recycled from spare bike parts and I "mount" the webcam on it with sticky tape. But I am still using the Philips tools to capture, must get the K3 suite. I will post my first Saturn video on youtube soon.

I found the alignment guide in that link good at explaining the procedure but bad at applying it to my circumstances. Here's my quick-guide (for northern latitudes)

Azimuth: If the southern star appears to RISE, turn your mount clockwise (viewed from the top).

Altitude: If the eastern/western star appears to RISE, you are pointing too high/low.

Just been reading all the above, all I can say is I now have a headache, but this might just help find the white spot on Pete’s photo of Saturn.

Over the weekend I spent 5 hours outside with the Heq5 polar aliened and when I checked the polar alignment after the session Polaris was at the 7 o’clock position about 1/3 the diameter of the polar alignment circle below where I started.

Is this good or bad? And what was the cause? Please. :D

Trevor, Polaris will appear to rotate round the alignment circle over time. 5 hours is plenty to notice the movement as it will move like the hour hand of a clock, going backwards at half speed. 1 full turn per 24 hours.

Or the mount was on a soft surface like grass and had sunk a little.

Captain Chaos

Archived