Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cooled mono CCD camera

fwm891

Hi All,

I'm currently gathering funds and info (lots of both needed!) regarding mono cooled CCD cameras. There seem to be three that fit the bill but other than retail bumph I haven't found much...

Atik 383L+ mono

QHY9

Starlight Express H18 mono

I intend adding a filter wheel and at the moment go down the Ha, SII, OIII etc route.

I currently image on Canon DSLR APS format via an Altair Astro 8-inch f4 imaging newt, with Baader MPCC flattener.

So another concern is whether there is enough room at the focuser to get the flattener and filter wheel in without having to spend out on a low profile focuser as well...

If you have any comments (good or bad) on the above feel free as they say...

Clear skies Francis

The trick will be the spacing from the MPCC to the chip - 55mm I think for that one?

Will you need an MPCC on the newt?

I have a 12" f4 and will be working out spacings and measurements over the next few days to see about vignetting and stuff - I'll post up these details as soon as I have worked them out :)

Daz - thanks. Definitely need the flattener as the fall-off is quite noticeable otherwise. The MPCC does a great job at present with clean stars across the whole APS frame.

One detail I can't get from the blurb is how far the Cooled CCD's sit behind the front flanges pf the various cameras. Knowing that would make it relatively easy to match camera, filter wheel and flattener options.

Francis

Has anyone with the QHY9 had issues with moisture - I guess its old gremlins at work but I have heard there are issues with QHY's over moisture and its removal. Given that I will be using the camera in the UK not some nice arid desert hence then need to know...

I have went down the Atik route myself but for me it was a straight choice between Atik and SX. Too many issues with QHY on both the quality and software support etc.

However they have probably been working hard on that but I'm sure all the main imagers you see will be using Atik, Sbig or Sx in the main.

Cheers

Has anyone with the QHY9 had issues with moisture - I guess its old gremlins at work but I have heard there are issues with QHY's over moisture and its removal. Given that I will be using the camera in the UK not some nice arid desert hence then need to know...

No issues here, they come with a dessicant insert, and a heater if needed...Ive never used the heater. Just change the dessicant about once a week.

Many thanks to all for the above comments regarding CCD cameras and your experiences.

I still haven't made a final choice but have been viewing some of the superb images imagers within SGL put on the forum. So its thanks to them as well.

More comments always welcome

Francis

No issues here, they come with a dessicant insert, and a heater if needed...Ive never used the heater. Just change the dessicant about once a week.

Once a week! I have an IMG2pro with the desiccant tube. I have colour changing gel in mine and it hasn't changed at all from when I first put it in (months ago). My original QHY2Pro was not good with condensation - the new shape cameras are excellent.

Dmahon - considered that, more due to all the SW that was bundled with it (same chip) but decided on the Atik 383L+ (finally). Comments from Olly and Ian King re the ease of use of the Atik software played a large part. I then downloaded & 'played' with Atik's Dawn software, almost too easy. If I find (expected) that I need Maxim or similar later then I'll go in that direction. While I'm getting used to the camera, filters etc I think the supplied Artemis Capture (Dusk ?) and Dawn will be fine.

Archived