Completely new

john_r

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My telescope arrived today! Spent the afternoon setting it up. Had to call on Martin at FLO for a couple of queries (for instance, the scope came with the wrong mount attached which caused a bit of confusion) but finally got there.

Just waiting for it to go dark now! Not expecting to get too far tonight - my first night with a telescope of any kind - but just hoping to get a glimpse of what is to come!

I can't thank - or recommend - Martin and FLO enough. Absolutely first class service.

Just to say, I've been using the 'scope every night this week since I got it. I've not got the SynScan working yet (I didn't know it didn't come with a supply and I've not got one yet - thought I'd found an adaptor but it's only 250ma...)

Anyway, really loving it so far.

I've been looking at the obvious things - the moon, Jupiter, Aldebaran, Capella etc. And reading up on what I am looking at.

Absolutely blown away by the fact Capella has a pair of stars 10x the radius of our sun yet they are so far away they appear so tiny (I feel a bit like Dougal in Fr Ted...)

And that it is a star system with two binary pairs, one pair is 10,000 AU away from the other?! 10,000 AU away and it is part of the same system?! And our Sun is roughly 1 AU from us? Wow. I've been chewing that one over for days. Silly find it amazing.

Spent ages last night learning to balance the 'scope. Hopefully that'll get easier and quicker! Going to try and get a power supply tomorrow and get the mount going.

Thanks again for such a warm welcome.

John

Archived