NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

collimating query

FLO Quote

Please note, for any laser collimator to be effective it needs to be fitted to a well-made focuser. The regular rack-and-pinion style focuser fitted to many beginner/intermediate telescopes lacks precision and rigidity. If in doubt please contact us for advice.

How true is this statement for the Skywatcher 200 dob, it comes with crayford focuser, it is a little loose to be honest

hard to explain, you can turn the focuser in its place, and there is some ability to jiggle it about, looking through a 10mm ep it is a large movement. It doens't jiggle in normal use, unless I move it

I did a star test yesterday and I think it is off as the black circle was not in the middle (still got some nice views though).

I'm currently using a homemade collicap

-

Can I confirm secondary alignment, mirror needs to look like a perfect circle, and be placed in the middle of view?

If you can move the entire focusser it sounds like you need to tighten up the mounting bolts.

I had the problem on mine where the rack and pinion system was a bit loose, but after tightening up the four screws on the adjuster section it works far better.

There are "cheaper" crayford focusers and then there are the better quality crayfords. The one that comes standard on the 200 dob is certainly better than the rack and pinion, but not as good and solid as the replacement crayfords.

However you should be able to adjust the focuser on your scope to get rid of most the excess movement.

John

You should be able to adjust the tension on the drawtube (the grey tube that moves in and out) - usually by tightening some screws (they may be behind a plate on the front) on the focuser itself.

If you're not sure, take a close up image and we'll help out there (not sure of the exact focuser on that scope, but there will be a way to adjust the tension, which may help to take out some of the play)

When using a collimated laser, use it in the SAME orientation each time and use the same screw to lock it in place in the focuser.

And yes, your focuser is fine! :)

Archived