Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bahtinov mask - quick question

I've just purchased a StarSharp Bahtinov mask from FLO. Can I just check on how exactly to use this - I know that I need to focus on a bright star and get the diffraction spikes symmetrical on my imaging screen - but once focused in this way, does it remain “in focus” for the rest night, no matter what target I choose? In other words, when I swing round to my DSO target, where there may be no bright stars, can I rely on the earlier focussing, or do I need to try and re-focus again in the precise area of my target, even if this means I have to use a dim star?

Just to mention the excellent service from FLO - my Ikharus refractor is 102mm/F5.6, and FLO stocked standard masks of F7.0, or F5.0 for a 102mm. I just dropped them a note and they arranged for a custom made Bahtinov for my exact scope of F5.6, and did not charge any extra either - fantastic service.

With a frac you should be ok but it a quick exposure with the mask on will confirm if you need to re-focus...just remeber to rermove it before the imagign run.. I guess most of us who use them will have left them on at some time or other.. I know I did for a 4 hour run on M42 a few years back...

Focus can change with temperature so its soemthing to keep an eye on...

Peter...

As above. Ideally, if you can't use a star in the image, use one at a similar altitude in the sky because the atmosphere affects focus as well. A quick slew to the focus star from time to time is a good idea. Faster sopes are more sensitive to change, slower ones a little more tolerant.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

I read elsewhere on this forum, that you had to have the EXACT mask for your telescope's FL . Is this true ? I would think that the important thing would be having a mask that matched the diameter of the front of the scope so the pattern would cover the whole opening. Isn't focus - focus, and the diffraction pattern that is caused by the mask would be centered on a star, whether the scope was an 8" F:5 or an 8" F:10, for instance. Can someone clarify this for me?

Jim S.

I'm unsure where the information about these masks needing to be manufactured for every FL comes from.

For an idea of how they work see here -

http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/HOMEPAGE/forum/Fraunhofer-primer.pdf

Y masks work very effectively. The problems start to arise, not because they don't work over a certain diameter but, because they are more delicate. I'd draw the line at about 8".

Dave.

I read elsewhere on this forum, that you had to have the EXACT mask for your telescope's FL . Is this true ? I would think that the important thing would be having a mask that matched the diameter of the front of the scope so the pattern would cover the whole opening. Isn't focus - focus, and the diffraction pattern that is caused by the mask would be centered on a star, whether the scope was an 8" F:5 or an 8" F:10, for instance. Can someone clarify this for me?

Jim S.

I doubt that this is true. I used a mask made for my 140/980 TEC with the Altair Astro 115/805 and it seemed to give a perfectly convincing result. I must say that I always do final focus using FWHM but that's because I'm obsessive! The 'wrong'mask was as close as the 'right' one tends to be, which is very, very close.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you always get diffraction patterns, but get better/clearer patterns if the mask is of the right dimensions?

On the other hand, if to get a perfect mask you need to cut it to very fine tolerances then I doubt many people have the facilities to do that and yet their masks still work, so perhaps it just doesn't matter.

James

Archived