Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue 85 vs ED80

Has anyone experience enough to compare the views through a Televue 85 and a modern, cheaper apo scope, such as the ED80? As much as I love Televue's quality finish and the feel of their scopes, I'm not sure it's enough to justify paying twice as much for a second hand model compared to a brand new modern apo?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite the TV85, but I own a TV76 (which I wouldn't part with) and have owned several ED80s and the like.

In terms of value for money it's no contest, the rise of the far-eastern apochromat makes the TeleVue 'scopes look very expensive indeed at anything like new prices (a new TV76 is £1,592 at green witch!). Fit and finish on the TeleVue is far better than the original 'gold tube' 80mm 'scopes and still in a different league to the current crop, as is the focuser which is very good and completely rigid, and my TV76 feels extremely solid (downside: heavy, for a 3-inch 'scope)

The optics are better, but not dramatically, it's more a testament to how far-east optics have improved. Colour correction is near-perfect for the '76 but it's very good these days too for the majority of the far-east 'scopes unless they're very fast doublets. Arguably it retains great colour correction at a slightly faster speed than you'd get from a far-east 'scope, but for most purposes it's a minor difference.

So ... a TeleVue 'scope is a lovely thing to own, but if you're buying then a cold, hard look at the costs makes the modern far-eastern equivalents a better buy - much better, if you're paying anywhere near the new cost of the TeleVue. Saying that, my (used) TV76 was a bit less than a new Skywatcher Equinox 80 OTA and beats it in every respect, so if you can find one at the right price then it's one to jump at.

A twenty year old TV has at least as much life in its mechanicals as a Chinese scope new. Probably more, possibly a lot more. I have had an original Genesis and still have a lovely Pronto bought from Ben above. The optics are not miles better but the whole scope is gorgeous and bomb proof and repairable. Given the low prices you pay for older TV scopes I think they represent stunning value. You won't be faffing about with a slipping, drooping Crayford if you choose an older TV. (This snipe is not aimed at SW BTW, but at my Lunt FS60 and WO ZS66, both of which have 'pain in the derriere' focusers.)

Olly

Thank you two. I've seen a Televue 85 for sale for "sensible offers" which I think means below £1000 as it's been advertised for that and not sold. It includes a feathertouch focuser and would be wonderful. Struggling to justify it to myself, but I do like the idea of owning something which is to keep, and would go nicely on something like a portamount.

A TV85 has stunning quality, both of construction and image quality. In more practical terms it would be hard to justify the cost increase over a 80mm ED. Any performance difference will be small but the cost difference is high.

I think that if you can strike an agreeable deal and are looking for a real "keeper" - both because it's a beautiful 'scope, and because they're quite hard to sell in this era of cheap, high quality Chinese optics - then it's one to go for, and very unlikely to disappoint. I still find myself wishing I hadn't sold the Pronto too, so i'm glad Olly likes it :) it's some consolation that it went towards buying the '76.

I am also fanatical about quality and to me build quality is key as well as the general "feel" of the scope.

The quality of the Televue goes without saying.

I would have thought a Williams Optics Gt-81 would be a good compromise or a ikharos 102 - the quality is excellent and it includes a 3" focuser.

I would go for aperture every time - as long as the quality is right.

With all high end scopes you will pay £££ for last few % of performance. With the TV you are paying more for the finish of the scope rather than improvments in optical quality, when buying new they seem excessively priced for what they are, however on the SH market they are great buys :)

Well.... I owned a TeleVue 85 and really loved it. Everything said above applies. Unfortunately, as my smallest scope it got relegated to "travel scope" so I got fed up with having the most expensive scope in my collction as my least-used. So I sold it (for what I paid for it) and got a used blue-tube SW 80ED with case and accessories for a fifth of the price. The SW served me well for many years and was optically (nearly as good) - ie, couldn't really tell the difference. But with the money left over I bought some other nice things!

Ant

I got fed up with having the most expensive scope in my collction as my least-used

I know that feeling. I find it ok having an under-used cheap 'scope (my Vixen 80Mf falls into that category), but expensive kit that's not getting much use always bugs me.

Fortunately my '76 is probably my most used, it lives on a Vixen Porta-II and is ready to go inside 30s, so it gets used for everything from a 5-minute slot through a gap in the clouds to a couple of hours of O'Meara-esque simplicity with just the Alt-Az and a couple of eyepieces.

Would have thought so, it's a bit longer than the '76 and a bit heavier, but not dramatically so.

I have a SkySurver V on my '76 and a 1.25" diagonal lives in the focuser, so I just grab a the 24mm Meade SWA from the eyepiece case (and maybe a Radian if the moon or Jupiter/Saturn is around) and off I go. Really is a near-perfect grab'n'go setup, although to revisit a general theme of the thread, is doesn't really do anything that something like an Equinox-80 wouldn't also do very well. So even if you decide against the '85, I can't speak too highly of this kind of setup, really brilliant in this cloudy country.

I think that if you can strike an agreeable deal and are looking for a real "keeper" - both because it's a beautiful 'scope, and because they're quite hard to sell in this era of cheap, high quality Chinese optics - then it's one to go for, and very unlikely to disappoint. I still find myself wishing I hadn't sold the Pronto too, so i'm glad Olly likes it :) it's some consolation that it went towards buying the '76.

...and I bought the Pronto from Ben after selling my old Genesis to Ritchie Jarvis! I missed it so much. I remember being temporarily housed in town and taking it outside, right under a sodium lamp, to look at Jupiter. The first thing I saw was a shadow transit.

If you can find a TV85 for the right side of £1000 you will only regret it if, like a fool, you sell it again! Then you can join the Ben and Olly club!

Olly

. Unfortunately, as my smallest scope it got relegated to "travel scope" so I got fed up with having the most expensive scope in my collction as my least-used.

Ant

Had the same torture with my old faithful Canon EF300 f/2.8 L lens , it lived in my wardrobe for 360 days of the year, I kept it for 4 years and sold it for exactly what I paid for it...

Bought a CPC 800 for the same money and lost 35% in 6 months :)

Thanks for all your advice. I've plunged in and made an offer which I think is fair (considering what you can get new) and at a value so it wouldn't be my most expensive scope! In the end, I'm just a sucker for quality and do like the idea of having something which is almost a legend within our world.

If....and it's a big if I reckon....if I was successful, how would I go about attaching one of these to something like a Porta-II?

As a happy owner of a Televue 85 maybe I can chip in here. The scope is bulletproof, the optics are great and I would be heartbroken to see it go (although I did consider it for the chance at a Pentax once!!)

I think what's been said is fair enough, if you only considered quality the Televue would win hands down, if you only considered cost the ED80 would win hands down. In between quality and cost is very subjective and down to the individual's taste.

I once said about a Feathertouch focuser "if you can afford it you wont regret having it, if you can't afford it, you can get very close for less money".

I think the same applies to the TV85 vs ED80, if you get a TV85 are you ever likely to wonder about an ED80? Can you say the same in reverse?

I paid £800 for my TV85 and I have seen a few at or around that price.

Ultimately it's a good decision to have between a very good scope and a great scope....

Cheers

If....and it's a big if I reckon....if I was successful, how would I go about attaching one of these to something like a Porta-II?

You can attach a vixen dovetail to the clamshell, I have an ADM losmandy plate on mine so that I can use it on all of my mounts.

Cheers

Well - the deal is done! £900 in the end (inc postage) for the scope, case, 20mm plossl, ring mount, 2" feather touch micro focuser, 2" Everbrite diagonal, WO100mm guide scope rings, Glass solar filter and Quickpoint finder. I almost feel guilty, but I'll get over it. A top bloke to buy off as well, so very happy!

Now the mount...

Not sire my wife would agree - I'll tell her it was £350. If she doesn't believe me.....well, she could always go back to work, or learn to cook, or stop watching X-factor.

I don't think this one's going to be stored in the shed - this is going in the sitting room!

I have a TV85, bought secondhand just before Willam Optics were on the scene. I only dreamed of owning a TV scope years ago and I'm pleased to say that I own such a lovely instrument.

However I must admit that if I had the choice in the current market it would be a tough one. There are some cracking scopes out there, lets face it we've never had such choice and value before, we live in great times as regards available kit.

Well - the deal is done! £900 in the end (inc postage) for the scope, case, 20mm plossl, ring mount, 2" feather touch micro focuser, 2" Everbrite diagonal, WO100mm guide scope rings, Glass solar filter and Quickpoint finder. I almost feel guilty, but I'll get over it. A top bloke to buy off as well, so very happy!

Now the mount...

That's a terrific deal, i'm sure you'll enjoy it. As for explaining the price, I have a few of those £350 'scopes too - either that or "...oh, that old thing? i've had that for ages..." :)

Archived