Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well, that just about wraps it up for Supersymmetry

I suppose the mathematical models have to go out on a limb and the experimenters need to keep the chainsaw handy... T'was ever thus.

I have a string theorist coming in October so look forward to picking his brains over this story.

Olly

Somehow abandoning a theory due to lack of evidence for it doesn't quite seem right. I blame that Brian Cox

That is the idea.

Devise a theory to explain something.

Then come up with evidence to support the theory.

If no evidence is found then the theory has to be considered suspect and potentially incorrect.

Until evidence is found/identified then Theory = Nice idea = Flight of fantasy.

I prefer to look at it a different way. A theory should be consistent with the existing evidence and make predictions that can be demonstrated experimentally before it is considered fundamentally correct. I think that's reasonable scientific method.

Unfortunately quantum and similar theories seem to change the rules, partly because they deal with things that are measured in probabilities rather than hard numbers, partly because they deal with things that may be changed by the very attempt to measure them and partly because when you get down to the physical scales involved, some things are just demonstrably completely untestable.

In that case, a lack of evidence seems to me to be qualitatively different from contradictory evidence, which would clearly blow a theory out of the water. Of course, it's entirely possible we're just at the limits of the BBC's science reporting and that the experimental evidence now does constitute some kind of contradiction, but that's not the impression I get from the article as written.

I'd be interested to know what Olly's string theorist has to say (though we mustn't forget that he may have his own theoretical axe to grind).

James

I thought they still had a couple of areas to investigate yet before discounting it totally? (another couple of months work)

But to disprove a great theory is just as exciting as proving one. It means its all up for grabs again and you can look for that elusive correction or brand new theory to start the whole theory proof theory cycle off again.

Entropy, entropy they've all got it entropy! (reading about entropy now i think superstrings next...should i just skip superstring chapter if its all going to be proved slightly wrong? I dont want to waste time reading about a duff theory :-). )

I blame that Brian Cox.
I blame the association of Particle Physics with the world of "Rap". :D

Though "Alpinekat" is a welcome alternative to the first? [teasing] :)

Spent a "lost evening" browsing (some rather creditable) blogs on the subject though... Will the Higgs('s) be hiding in one of the "gaps" etc. The current work quality and precision is commendable. I sense (some), more immediate, requests re. funding for "upgrades" might be a bit premature though! :(

Archived