NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Optics UK Crayford Focuser

Does anybody on this forum have the crayford focuser upgrade on their Orion Optics UK telescope? This was an optional upgrade when I bought my telescope but being poor at the time I could not afford it. However now I am interested in it as an upgrade now and wondered if anyone has experience of it.

Is it worth the price compared to the standard rack and pinion affair that comes as standard (used to come as standard, they all have crayfords now).

All views will be most welcome.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Steve,

I have the new Crayford on my OO VX12. I cannot comment on the old one, but I am pretty pleased with the OC1.

However,

If I was starting again, I would really look closely at the Moonlite focusser at FLO. The Moonlite works out more expensive, maybe around £40ish, including the dreaded VAT, but it also has rave reviews.

It would probably revolve around the mounting hole positions. If the OC1 dropped straight in without having to drill the tube and the Moonlite didn't, then, to me, it would be simple. If not, or the fixing holes are standard, then I would dig deep and look to justiify the Moonlite.

So, what's wrong with the OO OC1?

As suppled, everything was loose. Now tight, it is more sturdy, but I do not think it would have the load capacity claimed for the Moonlite.

The 2"collar has 3 small screws and they take some tightening around my Baader MPCC/SX OAG/SBIG ST8300 camera system. I think it is the depth and positioning of the brass tightening ring assembly that does not give the assembly enough support.

I guess the trial will really be when I fit an SX filter wheel system and then see if it hold true and square.

What's good?

Once tightened, the focussing is really smooth. The reduction gearing is nice and there is little backlash. It is easy to find focus.

If you are looking to upgrade, then certainly, I don't think you will be disappointed with the OC1. The 10:1 fine control is so good, too. It would be worth a call to check the mounting screw positions first, unless you are happy to drill the OTA.

Hope this helps,

Gordon.

Hello Steve,

I have the OC1 on my on my OO Newt and whilst I would say that its okay that is all it is. I will be changing it at some point for something that doesn't feel like a Lada. For me it lets the rest of the scope down as it all feels a bit half hearted by build quality and too clumsy at the eyepiece end.

Another OO owner with an OC1 focuser on the scope here. As said above, it does the job but is no Moonlight, despite trying to look a bit like one !. I've tweaked it so that it's carries my Nagler 31mm smoothly and safely but I've had to increase the tension quite a bit and sand the "flat" on the bottom of the drawtube to make it, er, flatter :)

The 2"collar has 3 small screws and they take some tightening around my Baader MPCC/SX OAG/SBIG ST8300 camera system. I think it is the depth and positioning of the brass tightening ring assembly that does not give the assembly enough support.

Current OC1 does not have this. Instead there is a screw on clamp with brass insert. There are also screw on extenders. If upgrading you need to ensure you get all the bits.

I looked at this focuser when I got my 14" dob but wasn't that impressed. Yes it was "OK" but no more than that, at the lower end quality wise of the available crayfords. I got a Baader Steeltrack instead and had OO fit it when they built the scope. Now the Baader is a very, very nice focuser indeed and quite reasonably priced considering how good it is.

John

Chris,

my OO Newt is around 3 months old and I tried to describe the fitting as accurate as I could. If they are different now, then I guess it might be due to some customer feedback. (I hope so, as this is the best way to improve)

John, interested in your comments - when I purchased my setup, I didn't realise I could cherry pick the market and OO would fit whatever I chose. (it is in memory for next time)

My frame of reference on the focusser is admittedly limited - I upgraded from a Meade LX90, so I thought the OC1 was good !!

Anyway, it all makes useful discussions for Steve and his decisions.

Gordon.

Yes a lot of people don't realise that when you order an OO scope directly from OO they will custom build it to your specs. When they fitted my focuser they took account of the height and the drawtube travel and positioned the focuser in the right position on the OTA. I chose a different OTA colour as well. :)

John

Hi Gordon,

My first OO, bought new about 3 years ago, had the three screws directly into the thin 2" draw tube, which was fine when I only used 1.25" accessories. With 2" ones, I kept loosing these screws. I saw the new fitting at Astrofest and ordered an upgrade.

My 14" OO which was manufactured last year and bought second hand, came with the new fitting and two screw in extenders. The new fitting may not be, or may not have been, standard for all scopes.

Thanks, Chris,

WOW !!

Mine was purchased brand new and directly from OO only 3 months ago...

Even paid extra for the 1/10th wave upgrade and the 10:1 focusser upgrade too.

And I have the exact same design as you describe.

So far, there is no sign of problems; this might change when I add the SX filter wheel into the optical train.

As a matter of interest, do you remember how much the alternative fittings cost?

I can feel a "Customer feedback" phone call looming...

Gordon.

These are prices from Orion UK in February this year and include UK p&p

OC1 crayford draw tube length being 92mm: £39 + VAT

OC1 2 adaptor ring screws to OC1 Draw tube: £35 + VAT

I have not bought the screw on extensions since I got two, of different lengths, with my 350mm and these suffice, even when I use the Altair Astro coma corrector. Orion gave me an estimated ship date, which I failed to note at the time, but which was nearly met.

The OC1 is a very serviceable focuser, but not perfect and both mine have oddities. One has a small amount of backlash and it can be focused in too far so it sticks and misaligns and has to be helped back out. On the other the fine focus knob is slightly tilted. In practice neither of these affects day to day use.

Thanks, Chris,

prices don't seem too bad.

I have a shopping list of stuff, so will add the upgrades to the list.

Next item will be a new guide camera, then the SX filter wheel.

Once that is on, I can test if the assembly is stable. If so, then I will carry on, if not, the OC1 will be getting an upgrade pretty quickly..

At the latest, a visit to Astrofest will give me a chance to discuss.

Thanks again,

Gordon.

Archived