Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy in 10x50's

brantuk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for sharing i have never tried my 10 x 50 they are a new purchase.i would never imagined you could see andromeda cant wait to try them

Andromeda is naked eye, I spotted M33 with my 10x50 several times, along with M81 and M82, M51, M101, the list goes on and on. Turn your bins to the stars and be astounded :)

This will be my first serious stargazing season since I got my new scope in March so was well happy to find both M31 and M110 last night 24th/25th August. Had a clear sky after my lateshift finished so went out about 11.30pm, tried and failed to find the Ursa Major Messiers - probably due to it not being fully dark in that area of my sky so tried for M31, Used Cassiopia to point in general direction and there it was, got the bonus of M110 in same field of view. My M count is now 4/110!! (Orion and Pleiades) Had thought about trying it with the bins but they had been left in work. Another bonus was 3 bright meteors in 6 minutes all passing through the summer triangle, 2 from east to west, and 1 from north to south. Bring on the clear winter nights!!!

I actually enjoy the view of M31 with a set of 7 X 50s more than I do through a telescope, unless that scope is a REALLY BIG ONE !

With binocs and a dark sky, you can easily see way beyond the core, and might even get a hint of the brighter of the two companion galaxies. Unless you have a real wide "richest field" telescope, you are very likely to not see anything but the core, itself.

My son has a home-made 6 inch F:3.0 Richest Field telescope which really brings out such objects as M-31 ! It is actually a Cassegrain telescope modified to a Newtonian style by replacing the convex secondary mirror with a 45 degree flat . Things aren't very large in that scope, but they sure are BRIGHT !

Clear Skies ! Jim S.

Yesterday at Midnigth i think i can see Andromeda with my Bushnell 10X25, the evening was so cloudy, and the Scope reamins in the box, but after go to bed i went outside to look, and some part of the sky was a little clear so i take the binoculars and did a fast tour and concetrate to get Andromeda, the sky was not good but this is my first time to get M31 in this way

hope tonite can use the scope

Lovely cloudless night here so I went out to look for Andromeda for the first time. I found it fairly quickly in my bins by locating Mirach using stellarium and panning up.

I then had a look with my 200p dob, it looked like a small light grey smudge but couldn't really make out a definite shape to it using the stock eyepiece, maybe due to light pollution ?

Thats my second dso after m13. Is it worthwhile getting a better eyepiece for deep space stuff and if so which one ?

Thanks.

The Astronomical League has various observing awards, including the Messier award, and the binocular Messier award . In order to obtain the Messier award, you cannot use "goto" scopes, but must sight the objects by star hopping to them ! That makes it pretty hard, but not impossible ! Our club used to insist that you found all 110 objects, including Messier's "mistakes", but the league is a bit more leanient . I believe the European clubs have a different organization that has similar awards, doesn't it ?

Jim S.

I had a similar experience with the andromeda galaxy, a few nights back, i got some lidls 10x50's a few years back, they were bresser bak4's

Had to use averted vision to get a good look, but amazed by it, quick spin round to see m13 in hercules(real hard to make much more than a blob) then back round again to catch jupiter and two of its moons

i went in a happy bunny:hello2:

I would never have believed a year ago that you could see another galaxy through some old binoculars but after seeing the Andromeda Galaxy through some old 10x50 binos about a month ago I was blown away. Ok I had to use averted vision but it was there. I didn't stop going on about it to my other half and other family members although I didn't get much reaction :( Quite funny.

Oh well, I was well impressed though!

Archived