NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12x50 bins into finderscope?

was just wondering whether I could use one leg of my 12x50 binos as a finderscope, which would then have neximage atatched to it for guiding.

I cant see any real problems with this as other people use 8x50, 9x50 etc as cheap alternatives. I think Il need to make some kind of device to atatch the neximage tho, and focus it.

So in theory (andall being well, in practice) this idea should work??

nothing wrong with the bins but i never ever use them and have had them for years. they are widefield 6 degree fov.

can anyone see me having problems using the neximage camera? its the same as the spc900, and its unmodded.

You would need to use just the objective in its tapered barrell to which you would have to add a tube and a means of focusing. An easy job if you have access to a lathe but a bit challenging if you have to go the "Blue Peter" route. :)

thanks peter. is there any formula for working out how far out the focus point is? i was thinking about having two tubes one slightly smaller than the other which slide in/out to form a focuser

cheers paul. if i understood peter correctly, i should just replace your eyepiece with my neximage and so long as its focussed, it will worfk as a guidescope.

Providing you get everything lined up I can see no problem with that.

Plumbers merchants and even B&Q can be a good source for plastic tube bits.

wooohoooo i got somethign assembled and focused ok :) just need to wait for my heq5 to turn up today sop i can star test to see if neximage will pick anything up, if not, I've just had ap honecall telling me I've been approved for a credit card! :icon_scratch: ahh once more life is good again :hello2:

will post a pic later on

Providing you get everything lined up I can see no problem with that.

Plumbers merchants and even B&Q can be a good source for plastic tube bits.

recently knocked through an outhouse toilet wall to make a utility room for my mother, used some old plastic pipe from the cistern!

Archived