Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD and QHY5v

Just picked up one of these mono camera's and want to use it with PHD. I've downloaded the Windows drivers and can select the camera in Sharp cap, but in PHD the QHY5 doesn't show up and the the only option is the ASCOM driver and that results in the default windows "ding-dong" when hardware is disabled.

Any suggestions as to how to get PHD working with the correct driver ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QHY5v Mono Camera - Quick Start Guide

1, Do Not Connect the Camera to your PC yet!

2, Install ASCOM platform 5 and update

3, Run the QHY5v System Driver file from the CD

4, Run the QHY5v ASCOM driver file from the CD

5, Connect the QHY5v camera to a USB2 port.

6, Don't let Windows connect to the Internet to search for a driver,

7, Specify that Windows installs the driver automatically, ignore any warnings!

8, Windows will install the first (base) driver component, be patient.........

9, Install QGVideo planetary imaging software

10, Start - then close QGVideo, this will initiate the 2nd driver component installation

11, Install the 2nd (IO) driver component, answer as before

12, Install PHD Guiding software

QHY5v then shows up as ASCOM V5 camera :)

I know people knock the ASCOM route, but it worked first time for me and the guy I sold my QHY5 to :icon_scratch:

QHY5v Mono Camera - Quick Start Guide

1, Do Not Connect the Camera to your PC yet!

Already have done.... the hub us connected to the PC so it went live

2, Install ASCOM platform 5 and update

Already have that installed for use with the focuser and EQMOD

3, Run the QHY5v System Driver file from the CD

4, Run the QHY5v ASCOM driver file from the CD

Don't have the CD - the camera is secondhand so came with no software

5, Connect the QHY5v camera to a USB2 port.

6, Don't let Windows connect to the Internet to search for a driver,

7, Specify that Windows installs the driver automatically, ignore any warnings!

Having downloaded the drivers from the QH website I pointed that to the folder where the drivers were installed to and the Hardware wizard completed the task with out problems

8, Windows will install the first (base) driver component, be patient.........

9, Install QGVideo planetary imaging software

10, Start - then close QGVideo, this will initiate the 2nd driver component installation

11, Install the 2nd (IO) driver component, answer as before

12, Install PHD Guiding software

I'll see if that software is downloadable... didn't have the CDs as mentioned

QHY5v then shows up as ASCOM V5 camera :)

I can select the ASCOM V5 (and later) option, but this results in the LED on the camera going out and the windows "ding dong" you get when detaching a device

I know people knock the ASCOM route, but it worked first time for me and the guy I sold my QHY5 to :icon_scratch:

Looks like he was lucky :hello2:

I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions too

OK, strange things affot !

Im not sure if the camera is faulty or something else is screwed up. I can't get the camera drivers to work on the netbook so I went back to the observatory PC. The only driver that seems to work (and is also listed when installing new hardware) is the QHY5 not the QHY5v. Could it be that I have a QHY5 camera and not the V version - if so how would I check.

Anyway, using an un-powered 5m USB lead in the front ports of the old HP530 SFF PC I managed to get the camera to work, in as much as the LED lit and flashes depending on what exposure is selected, again using the QHY5 driver in Sharpcap. However this is the images I get (looking at bright clouds) (cropped center section)

In PHD I can get the camera to work selecting teh ASCOM V5 driver and then selecting the QHY5 in the properties... seems to work in that I get the screen going from white to black when I cover the camera..

post-23388-133877649715_thumb.jpg

Hi Malcolm. I haven't read this thread in detail so please forgive me if it's been covered.

When you go to Mount in PHD choose 'on camera' and not ASCOM. I had similar problems and this cured it. HTH.

Tony,

Thanks for the advice. At the moment I can get it to display a clear image (well black or white depending on if the CCD is covered or not) in PHD. Where it falls over is in Sharpcap which gives the interlaced type image above.

I'll try your suggestion, hopefully later tonight as the clouds are clearing - (but not holding my breath :) )

Kev,

I have the ST4 lead connected between the camera and the mount's guide port - I thought that was how best to use it ?

If you are using EQAscom to control your mount then to get all the benefits that EQAscom can give you the QHY5 video should be pushed through PHD and then that will send the correction pulses to EQAscom which will then issue the pulse corrections to the mount. To do this you should select Ascom as the mount in PHD.

If you select On-Camera then the guide corrections go from PHD to the mount via the ST-4 lead.

If you are using EQAscom to control your mount then to get all the benefits that EQAscom can give you the QHY5 video should be pushed through PHD and then that will send the correction pulses to EQAscom which will then issue the pulse corrections to the mount. To do this you should select Ascom as the mount in PHD.

If you select On-Camera then the guide corrections go from PHD to the mount via the ST-4 lead.

I think at the moment Malcolm is just trying to get his camera working.

Guys,

At the moment I'm just trying to see if the gear works. I downloaded the windows and ascom drivers from the site listed in post #2 by Kev. Initially I downloaded the 5v as that was the model I was lead to beleive was the one I purchased (secondhand). In Sharpcap the camera is listed as an option to select - if I choose the 5V Sharpcap crashes, and if I choose 5 I get the interlaced images shown. It would be nice if the camera could be used to capture images of the planets etc, but I have a webcam for that if it proves not possible.

In PHD and can get it to work by selecting Ascom V5 then selecting CMOS-QHY5. If I then select properties all I get is a slider for gain. I can then set the exposure to 0.5sec and start a loop. Covering the camera results in a dark screen, which then goes white if I uncover the camera - so to that end PHD appears to be working.

Can anyone recommend a suitable capture program (freeware if possible) to try. I still think that the **** USB controller on the PC is causing some of the issues I'm experiencing, and hope to install an secondary card tomorrow in a bid to rule that out. Having said that, all the other USB gear seems to function..

Tony, I see by the image that it does indeed look the same, and judging by the driver issues it would appear that I actually have the higher resolution version of the camera (Micron MT9M001 1/2inch CMOS sensor, 1280 x 1024 Active pixels, 1.3 megapixels, Pixel Size: 5.2um x 5.2um) :)

Well looking at the skies, I might have a few hours to polar align the scope later, and even have a go at testing the camera through the ST80 with PHD...

Archived