Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PHD and QHY5v

Malcolm as I understand it up till now you have been unable to get an image from your camera, although it responds to light change in PHD.

If I was in your position then, I'd concentrate on getting an image in PHD as that is going to be your guiding software.

Go back to the stage where you can get a light response in PHD. Hit the Stop button. Go back to Connect to Camera and select either ASCOM v5 camera or ASCOM (Late camera).

Hit ok and the ASCOM camera chooser should appear with your chosen camera. Select properties and move the slider up to about 95%.

Now select 0.005 in the exposure settings then the Begin Looping button. Hopefully you should now see an image.

These are the settings I used for daytime setup using a distant object to focus on.

If this then works you can concentrate on getting an imaging programme to work, knowing your camera is ok.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I downloaded the one for the QHY5 - It works. It connected to the camera and I get something on the screen when the ST80 has it's cover removed. Now just need some stars and learn how to use it for capturing - Would love to try it on the Moon through the 800P :)

Well I downloaded the one for the QHY5 - It works. It connected to the camera and I get something on the screen when the ST80 has it's cover removed. Now just need some stars and learn how to use it for capturing - Would love to try it on the Moon through the 800P :)

Woo hoo!

OK - have pointed the set up at some trees about 400 yds away. I'm guessing but should I not get an image through the ST80 when using that software. All I seem to get is a blank screen which I can change the brightness and contrast with - do these cameras work in the same way as a webcam ?

OK - have pointed the set up at some trees about 400 yds away. I'm guessing but should I not get an image through the ST80 when using that software. All I seem to get is a blank screen which I can change the brightness and contrast with - do these cameras work in the same way as a webcam ?

Are you using a diagonal or extension tube? I used an 80mm t-thread extension.

Kev,

Tried both... I've now tried connectinng the QHY5 to the 200p via an adapter so it fits the normal 1.25" eyepiece holder - its sitting there with the LED flashing, and it will show a difference in the qgvideo software when the covers are passed in front of the mirror, but I just don't get any images, even close, let alone focused. I guess I best wait for the Moon to rise and try that. Never seemed to have these problems with the old SPC900 webcams :)

anyone have any further ideas

Have you tried the method I suggested. I use the ST102 for guiding, which is only slightly bigger.

During daytime setup I use the lens cover on with a pin hole in the centre. Any larger and the image will be blown out and you'll only see light or dark.

You might just get a result now before it gets dark. After that you will probably see stars but then you have to focus it.

A typical exposure for getting stars to show is something like 100% gain, set when you select the camera under properties, and 1 or 2 second exposure. It's worth noting that unless the stars are close to being in focus you will not see any indication they are there

A typical exposure for getting stars to show is something like 100% gain, set when you select the camera under properties, and 1 or 2 second exposure. It's worth noting that unless the stars are close to being in focus you will not see any indication they are there

Agreed, although I had to lower my exposure time to 3-4 sec which gave me a smother guide graph.

Wooo Hooooo !

OK choose Vega as a target. Held an eyepiece in position so I knew it was more or less in the center of view, then fitted the camera - set the gain to 60% and 1 second captures - nice big blob in the PHD window - tuned the foucs and this was the result after some tweeking

post-23388-133877649818_thumb.png

Wooo Hooooo !

OK choose Vega as a target. Held an eyepiece in position so I knew it was more or less in the center of view, then fitted the camera - set the gain to 60% and 1 second captures - nice big blob in the PHD window - tuned the foucs and this was the result after some tweeking

Result :)

another addict on his way :icon_scratch:

LOL - possibly, if I could work out what I should be doing :)

Question, having positioned the scope on a test subject (m75), and taken a single 40 sec exposure with APT to confirm the subject is in FOV, I then opened PHD, selected a star, and got a green box round it. Then selected telescope and pointed it to the EQ5/6 Ascom which is already running via CdC and EQMOD, and set it looping at 0.5sec exposures... how do I know if it's doing any corrections (it should be as I've only roughly polar aligned)

Oh and did the ISS go over at about 9:50 BST - there was a bright white light going west to east at a constan but fair rate of knots - nothing flashing !!

Connect the mount and camera in PHD first

You need to run the calibration routine in PHD with the mount connected. This will move the star N, S E and W to the edges of the box and if it works it will tell you it's calibrated. You might need to increase the Calibration step to something like 1500-300ms so that the star does reach all sides of the box in a reasonable number of steps 20-30, the option is under the Brain icon. I think the Cal will fail if it takes more than 40.

Also it is worth taking dark frames to remove any hot pixels and clean up the video.

Kev, when running PHD through EQMOD, am I right in thinking that I should disconnect the st4 cable between the camera and mount ?

Just before I retired for the night I closed down all applications and then started again from scratch. Opened PHD, selected the EQ5/6 option for the mount and that launched EQMOD. Selected the ASCOM 5 option for camera and set a gain of 60% and briefly set it looping to verify I could see some stars. Once stopped I went to Tools > enter calibration data... was this correct? I entered 300 for the values in all the questions but the target star didn't move, nor did the mount. I then found that the ST4 cable was detached, but thought this was only used if I selected the "on camera" option ??

It's a steep learning curve, but thanks guys for holding my hand whilst I get my fix :):icon_scratch:

If I remember correctly from this thread, http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/127026-neq6-hardware-software-astrophotography.html unless you are using EQDIR or a serial connection through the handset you need the ST4 connected.

When you are tracking your tracking star will appear static in PHD and will not move throughout the session. You wont be able to detect any mount movement either, just a small clicking type sound from the stepper motors.

Enable the tracking graph to view how things are going. I would wait until you are tracking a target and analyse the image results before changing any of the settings. I have never used 'enter calibration data' before so I'm unfamiliar with that function.

Hopefully I've now resolved some of the connectivity issues by plugging in a new USB card into a PCI slot. I've skimped through the linked thread which is excellent but mainly deals with hardware connectivity. Can anyone suggest a tutorial (video or otherwise) on using PHD

Glad you got the connection sorted.

PHD is very simle and basic in it's concept. You seem to have had everything working last night.

What I'd do next is get it tracking again and just watch the tracking graph for a while. If that is relatively smooth then you are good to start imaging.

If you get any hiccup you want know until you start imaging. It's then they start to show up.

When I opened the graph last night all I got was the grid, no traces. Also you know in EQMOD you can toggle through options where it normally shows the scopes position (either numerically or with graphic dials) there is a section that shows tracking inputs (see attached) nothing was observed there either (ignore the fact the image states simulator - Its just for illustration purposes only :) )

post-23388-133877650295_thumb.jpg

Hi Malcolm, the graph I was referring to is in PHD. It's under Tools- Enable Graph. During my setup I stayed away from EQMOD until all was ok. If you hit the telescope button in PHD, EQMOD may appear. If it does just minimise it.

Archived