Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have I seen this before ??

spaceboy

They must have read your post:

REASON FOR LOW PRICE:

LEGS WERE OVERTIGHTENED AND THIS CAUSED A FEW DENTS BUT THE CAUSE HAD BEEN CORRECTED AND HAS NO IMPACT ON THE TRIPOD.

THE MOUNT HAS A SLIGHT GRINDING NOISE, ONLY WHEN STOPPING AND STARTING THE DRIVE. THIS IS A VERY COMMON ISSUE WITH THE EQ6 AND HAS 'NO' IMPACT ON SEEKING AND SLUEING.

Put it this way. I'm guessing crushed tripod legs aren't a common problem. It is stainless steel after all and from my experience is not flimsy stuff. SO it stands a good chance it is the same mount and with the new owner selling it after only 2 weeks (or one clear night) it would for me suggest there is more to it. I might be wrong but it dose seem an uncanny coincidence :)

Make a silly offer, it could be a simple fix.

No that didn't work. At least my sons penny jar is safe :)

You'd have to allow for a new tripod in your offer which I think there was one used on U&B&S for £85 and then there is the possible gear/ motor problems. What would be a realistic offer given the circumstances. It's not like you could re-list in on UKB&S or eBay any time soon.

It was advertised on ASTRONOMY BUY & SELL

about 5 weeks ago

Regarding the noise , don't they all do it on start up and stopping

If the noise is nothing out of the norm and the tripod issue was known at the time of purchase why would they sell it so soon. It's not like it was purchased to make a quick profit. More like the seller would be glad to get their money back judging by the BIN price.

If the noise is nothing out of the norm and the tripod issue was known at the time of purchase why would you sell it so soon. It's not like it was purchased to make a quick profit. More like the seller would be glad to get their money back judging by the BIN price.

Yeh it definitely feels like the seller is trying to salvage as much of the cost as he can. I could be totally wrong, but been burned in the past with second hand equipment so I am a lot more cautious now!

I've had an EQ6 Pro and it was essentially silent apart from slewing and even then it certainly didn't "grind" (an attribute often leveled at Celestron mounts) more like the noise of a good old fashioned Singer sewing machine (showing my age here) and the tripod legs are 2" steel and to dent them would be nigh on impossible without serious abuse. I'd avoid this sale if I were you.

Brinders

• 2 weeks later...

Archived