NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ideas for Observatory That can Take High Winds!!

Astrobob1973

Hello to all

I am looking for an Observatory Type that can withstand very High wind speeds, that we get here in the Hebrides, iv got a 12" (300mm) f/5 Dob and a 127mm Vixen Refractor .

It would be worth making the Observatory as the skies here are something else No light pollution my nearest street lights are 30 Miles away Its just we do get very strong Gales in winter.

So Guys any Ideas or Thoughts would be appreciated.

well am sure a good sturdy shed woud do the job mine is a old 9x7 foot green house all glass taken out and wood nailed every were,and my roof is in two parts so i can lift one side of or on as a go along quite cool cost about 30 quid all in well the palletes were 50 pence each

am sure some one will come along with better advice

We are in an exposed position on a hillside but we don't get the extremely high winds you get up there. However, I have designed my obsy to be pretty strong and it will be anchored down to six cubic concrete foundations of about 15" sides (already done). I will have to provide something to prevent the ROR lifting up though - I haven't as yet worked just how/what.

perhaps sinking the internal ground to reduce the profile of the obsy?

You could then extend the eaves to be closer to the ground.

A lot of work though, and doesn't really address the potential for the roof to lift.

May also introduce problems with damp if not really well tanked.

I think a good solid timber construction with (maybe) wire guys fixed to heavy concrete blocks sunk well into the ground should withstand storm force winds.

Oh, and, try to avoid widely overlapping roofs that could catch the wind. Try to make it aerodynamic where possible to reduce the effective force of the wind. Actually, a dome is about as aerodynamic as you can get, but expensive.

Just to explain the issue a little more.

I'm also on the Isle of Lewis and, as well as doing some astro gazing, I also run a weather station. In the winter months we get some very violent storms hitting the island and in 2009 there was a 10 day period when I recorded gusts of no less and 45 mph with the highest being 98 mph.

The houses are generally built to withstand this with slate tiles, not the large concrete ones, and the double glazing is made with a slight bow outwards so that it seals better with the wind blowing on it.

Ratchet straps is one idea, my shed is secured using 2 inch wide ratchet straps and it's nice & secure but as these go over the roof then it's not ideal for removing the panels. Although, removable straps will allow observing and then keep the roof in place when you need it.

Lowering the profile is a good idea although, like you say, drainage may be an issue as the island is mostly covered in peat or rocks.

Rob,

Is this for your own observatory or are you thinking ahead to the one SAS is talking about building?

Martin.

Thanks yo you all give me some food for thought and all your feed back is much appreciated.

Budgie the Original question was in reference to Building my own observatory although I am wondering how we at the SAS will build the our proposed observatory...

As for my self well I guess the way forward may be Just to house the 12" Since its a dob and I don't need a pier and just keep the sides low but High enough to act a a wind break when Observing More like a Square box with Hinged roof in two parts and straps to lock it all down iv now got 4 steel square box section posts 3"x 3"x 8 foot long will concrete these in and use 3/4 ply and bolt it together !!

I'm sure sheds have been standing on the Isles for years without blowing away :) you just need to make it sturdy enough to take the battering from the ever changing wind direction. Once built, using ratchet straps inside to hold down the roof might be a better idea since the straps themselves will not be exposed to the weather/sun. If you do have a prevailing wind direction build the shed corner on to that to help cut down on the stress?

I read somewhere that a dome won't blow off no matter how strong the wind - something to do with the aerodynamics of the shape. I'll leave it to you to test the theory!
I think I read that too. Certainly a dome is very aerodynamic and won't catch the wind like a normal shed.

Archived