Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing places in The highlands of Scotland

Anyone found any gems of places to observe in Scotland.

For me Glencoe is brilliant, down past the mountain Buachaille Etive Mor dead end road, Loch Rannoch and as far up as Rannoch Station have super views, past Strontian on the Ardnamurchan peninsula there are some super tacks off the road which have super dark skies.

Anyone found any other gems?

Well...just got back from a 2 week holiday staying in North Ballachulish on the shore of Loch Leven....wonderfull view of the Pap of Glencoe from the house we rented....

Definately the wrong time of the year for astronomy from here though as the skies were never dark...though I can't imagine LP is ever going to be an issue...

Aiming to return later in the year.....would love to up sticks and relocate..

Mind you...those mountains do get in the way!

Steve

We spend three weeks in the highlands in Strathconon, its 17 miles down a track at the end of the glen!. Dark skies !! except this year we were snowbound again, but with only one clear night.

The Highglands Astro Soc are based near Culloden. But almost anywhere once you have left the lights of Inverness and to some extent Dingwall the skies are magnificent!.

Anyone found any gems of places to observe in Scotland.

For me Glencoe is brilliant, down past the mountain Buachaille Etive Mor dead end road, Loch Rannoch and as far up as Rannoch Station have super views, past Strontian on the Ardnamurchan peninsula there are some super tacks off the road which have super dark skies.

Anyone found any other gems?

I would imagine anywhere outside of the towns would be glorious :). The station house at Rannoch was for sale a while back and I was seriously considering moving there. It's a bit bleak up on the moor though, even for me!

Tony..

I would imagine anywhere outside of the towns would be glorious :). The station house at Rannoch was for sale a while back and I was seriously considering moving there. It's a bit bleak up on the moor though, even for me!

Tony..

You could always walk the 12 miles over The Moor to The Kingshouse for a pint :D

Gracious! Sounds like you lads have some lovely places to observer from!

Of course, we are a bit impoverished here in the desert, but we do have a couple of places you might have heard of.... I can see Mt. Palomar from my street corner if the weather is clear, and there is a lovely little spot north of Pasadena called Mt. Wilson; they have a nifty 60-inch scope that you can rent by the night for yourself, or a group of friends. :)

Still, in all - I guarantee the scenery here isn't nearly as nice as it is there - but the skies are probably about as good! :D

Cheers!

Dan

Hi there Andy!

Just two questions....

1. What's a "midge"? (I have an auntie Madge, but even her nasty reputation can't have spread all the way to the Scottish highlands, can it???)

2. What's "rain"?? :)

Seriously though, we do get about 6" a year, mostly in December and January... 1st March - 31 October are often totally dry! ~:D

Dan

........and you'll have a HELL of a lot less rain and no bloomin midgies !!!!!

Andy.

Archived