Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please Spec Me An Eyepiece

Coco

With the weather and clouds continuing to ruin imaging sessions Ive decided to get positive and treat myself to a nice eyepiece for my William Optics Megrez 100 f/5.9 . budget of £400/500

Having an eye issue 'Central serous retinopathy which flares up now and again causing colour degradation and distortion I need a really good eyepiece to really make the best of a situation that's unavoidable

Can you recommend maybe 1 or 2 eyepieces that would 'please' on depressing broken sky evenings :)

I'm thinking Ethos 13mm as its eye relief is reasonable @15mm and apparent view 100degrees..

Planets are going to tax because the scopes only 650mm focal length so not sure what eyepiece would suit.. galaxies and globs are my favourite.. with the exception of Saturn :smiley:

Being pedantic:

William Optics Megrez 100 f/5.9

How do you get a 100mm f/5.9 scope with,

the scopes only 650mm focal length

With a focal length of 650mm.

If it is f/6.5 you will get away with a less critical eyepiece then with an f/5.9, and means either less cost or more eyepieces.

Being a Megrez I assume that it is f/6.5, as they are doublets, f/5.9 is pushing an ED doublet a bit.

Following from a previous post TV have new Delos eypieces coming out some time, hopefully soon. These appear to be an Ethos design with a reduced field of view, still better then most.

If I recall they are in 6mm and 10mm offerings so would be well suited to the Megrez if you wanted a max magnification of around the 100x or less.

They are advertised by Green-Witch at £265, just not sure when they will appear over here.

May be worth a thought and a wait as you could end up with Ethos performance at a lot less.

I splashed out on two Pentax XW's - they are superb.

In you 650mm ?? scope I would suggest the 14mm (x46), the 10mm (x65) or the 7mm (x93).

All have a 70' FOV.

They also have a VERY comfortable to use 20mm eye relief which is why I bought them.

If you are still going to Cumbria 3 and can wait, you would be more than welcome to try out my 13mm ethos. I know there will be some other ethos and naglers there Tom and James have them I'm sure they wouldn't mind you having a go either.

That way you can try them out before you buy and see what suits you best. :-)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I suspect the scope we are talking about is your Megrez 110 which I believe is an F/5.9. My Vixen ED102 has a similar focal length and one of my favourite eyepieces with it is the Nagler 31mm which gives a true field of view of nearly 4 degrees - enough to take in the whole of the Veil Nebula with an O-III filter - it's quite a sight :smiley:

With a focal length of 650mm even the 6mm Ethos becomes a great deep sky eyepiece, delivering 108x but also nearly a 1 degree true field of view :)

Being pedantic:

How do you get a 100mm f/5.9 scope with,

With a focal length of 650mm.

If it is f/6.5 you will get away with a less critical eyepiece then with an f/5.9, and means either less cost or more eyepieces.

Being a Megrez I assume that it is f/6.5, as they are doublets, f/5.9 is pushing an ED doublet a bit.

Following from a previous post TV have new Delos eypieces coming out some time, hopefully soon. These appear to be an Ethos design with a reduced field of view, still better then most.

If I recall they are in 6mm and 10mm offerings so would be well suited to the Megrez if you wanted a max magnification of around the 100x or less.

They are advertised by Green-Witch at £265, just not sure when they will appear over here.

May be worth a thought and a wait as you could end up with Ethos performance at a lot less.

Yes a typo... Megrez 110MM and 649mm not 650mm = f/5.9

Thanks everyone here for your help.. :smiley:

• 1 month later...

I bought a Explore Scientific 14mm 100 degree 2" eyepiece from OPT for £189 plus the HM tax etc.. The views are breath taking, the double cluster looks like spilled diamonds on a jewelers lap cloth :)

What I would like now is a planet/Moon eyepiece or barlow, people highly recommend the Antares x1.6 this should give me 80x but still short for planets and high mag Moon observing.

Has anyone had any luck with the Revelation 2X ED barlow? I see telescope House has them for £37 :)

congrats on the ES, would like to try one to compare with a TV, Barlow wise I have not used one for a few years now so can't really comment on your choice although I have read that Tal do a decent one at a fair price.

I believe so, but Tal are 1.25 :glasses2:

I know you said one but if I had that choice, I'd buy a 13mm Nagler T6 (or if you can push the budget slightly a 12mm Nagler T4) plus a Nagler 6-3mm zoom.

Lol before even seeing your post Shane I had these very two eyepieces in mind as suggestions :rolleyes:

Great minds think alike :glasses2:

If the budget can stretch to it I would highly recommend the Nagler 3-6mm zoom suggested earlier. I use one on my 105/650 and it's perfectly matched for refactors in that f6 region. The main advantage of the zoom is that you can make best use of the available seeing conditions at the time - on very rare occasions you can go up to 3mm; most of the time though it optimises at around 4 to 5mm. The zooming function also makes it a heck of a lot of fun to use! Despite the Nagler tag they are not a wide field of view eyepiece but that doesn't really matter for planetary. You should be able to pick up a good used one for around £200 or so.

Alan

Archived