Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar filters

The baader solar continuum filter is ONLY to be used with something like this... First Light Optics - Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0. The baader solar continuum filter enhances sunspots so you can see them in more detail (the sun actually looks green through this filter :smiley:)

** DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN WITHOUT A PROPER SOLAR FILTER SUCH AS THE BAADER SAFETY FILM OR APPRIOPRIATE SOLAR FILTER THAT COMPLETELY COVERS THE OBJECTIVE LENS OF YOUR TELESCOPE - DOING SO WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE TO YOUR EYES AND MOST PROBABLY YOU WILL GO BLIND **

as far as i can tell the link is to an eyepiece filter (it says its a 1.25 inch filter..) ie direct sunlight will hit your main mirrors before the filter.

Theres so many warnings on here not to use that type of solar filter because they are dangerous and may very well damage your eyesight. This is because the energy in the light coming from the sun is focussed onto one spot on your ep. Thats alot of energy and heat to have millimetres away from your eyeball! :smiley:

So definately stay away from that type of filter - and for 89 dollars! JC, you can buy an A4 sheet of baader solar filter for ~ £20 and make your own, or buy one to fit your scopes aperture. You have two choices - full aperture filter or the smaller capped aperture on the main cap of the scope. Using this method of filtering keeps the energy/heat away from the mirrors as it only lets a small amount of light through. Thus you can safely observe.

Be very careful not to damage the filter, and always secure it tightly before pointing the scope anywhere near the sun

happy sunning :)

guys, i am aware of the danger regarding the solar exposure ! that's why i ask first, than shoot ! so, to summarize, i am better off buying a A4 solar sheet and make myself a full cover solar filter, right? but give me an advise how am i suppose to stretch the foil and keep it stretched?

PS: link Lire La Nature - Product List

from your sig it seems you want to make a iflter for a 10 inch beast? Im afraid A4 wont cover that. It just about covered my 6 inch and I had to cut that down to fit the small cap on my 8 inch.

I used some stiff cardboard, cut 2 rings that have an inner diameter of the aperture of your cap, and an outer diameter an inch or so larger. use some pva or pritt stick glue and sandwhich the film inbetween the two pieces. now you should have a flat filter which you cannot attach to the scope.... next you want to make a tube out of more cardboard, liek a used toilet roll, only the inner dimater should be the size of the aperture you are using. cut it down to size and tape/glue the filter to the top of the tube. slide the tube over the aperture opening and voila :smiley:

stick a dslr on the tube and you get somethign liek this, which is pretty much exactly the same as the view you will get when you look with an eyepiece :smiley:

If using a baader solar continuum filter, it will look green. :)

@chemtom24:good point, now i realize that A4 wont cover the opening !

@mikinio : thanks for the idea.

still i was hoping to spend $ only on A4 sheet; and obviously, i cant glue 2 A4 sheets,right?

You can get bigger sheets but it might be cheaper to buy a ready made solar filter.

BTW the film should be left a bit loose. Don't pull it tight or that will cause distortions. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to leave it loose but that's the way it should be done.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

John

Archived