Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dual-purpose pier

JamesF

Tempting as it might be to have two obsys, or one with two piers, I don't think it would go down too well, so I want to try to build a pier suitable for an SCT, a frac, or a newt.

My intention is to build a concrete pier, so I'm thinking I should build that the correct height for a newt, probably around 10" or 12" diameter, and then have a steel tube extension around 18" high to bring the height up to something more usable for the SCT and refractor.

Does anyone have any better ideas, or examples of alternatives?

Thanks,

James

Lovely. Found it here: http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/144094-pier-extension.html

Thank you.

As it happens, I've just got back from dropping off my wife's car at our local friendly mechanics for its MOT. I noticed that lying on his forecourt he has an old steel lamppost that would be just the job. I might have to ask him if he wants to get rid of it when we pick the car up tomorrow.

James

I built a 7" diameter concrete pier and it's absolutely rock solid. While looking through my scope (130mm, f5, 650mm fl) with 4mm EP (160x magnification) I got no visible movement when I thumped the top of the pier with the side of my fist quite hard (though not enough to really hurt).

I think the main section of my pier will be concrete. If I build an extension to use with the SCT then it will probably be steel tube though. The lamp post could well be just the thing for that, though it may save a lot of time and harassment if I just go to a local machine shop and get it made up (there's a chap in Wiveliscombe who is apparently very good as long as you're not in a hurry and can specify all the sizes in imperial ;)

James

Archived