NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(H)EQ5 vs CG5

I am still looking for my fist scope and have (more or less) decided on a SW 200p. Now I am considering which mount to put it on. I want to do DSO imaging so i guess it should be fairly stable.

FLO has a nice bundle with the 200p and the EQ5 mount for a nice price and I can add motors to this for unguided tracking - this would fit my budget nice.

There is also the option of the HEQ5 syntrek/synscan mount. As far as I understand this is a more stable mount but it is also over my budget ;) I have looked for a s/h HEQ5 syntrak/synscan (on other sites since I do not yet have access to buy/sell here at SGL).

The last(?) option is the CG5 GT mount but I am not sure of the load capacity of this one and wheter it is more compareable to the EQ5 or the HEQ5 (except for the GT function). Does anyone have experience/recomendations with regards to these mounts?

Th

The HEQ5 would be my choice. The load capacity is ideal for a 8" newt and it has twice the tracking accuracy of the CG5/EQ5, plus it has a guide port.

IMO you should keep saving or wait for a second hand one to crop up.

Whilst I'm happy with my 200P / EQ5 combo, I am regretting not paying the £200 more for the HEQ5 goto, basically as the 200P is really on the limit for an EQ5, and once you start bolting on dSLR cameras, and guidescopes it's really pushing it.

The SW EQ5 is a lot quieter than the CG5... unless you live in well spaced apart detached house, or miles from anywhere it's fine, but in a built up area you could end up falling out with folk next door !

Good to get the opinion of experienced people! Sounds like I'll lookout for a s/h HEQ5 (syntrek) to put the 8" on.

If I get one on a dob mount to start with do I just get some scope rings when I want to mount it on an EQ mount?

Since the houses where I live is not that far apart its probably better to stay away from the noisy CG5.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade that standard HEQ5 (the one with built in moters) to the syntrek/synscan version?

I could be wrong but I believe the HEQ5 comes in 2 version, Syntrek and Synscan. The only difference between them is the handset. The Syntrek can be upgraded to the Synscan version by buying a new handset.

Personally I would recommend that you buy the cheaper Syntrek version and use an EQDirect cable with EQMOD software on a laptop get get the goto functionality (and so much more).

Cheers,

Chris

Since the houses where I live is not that far apart its probably better to stay away from the noisy CG5.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade that standard HEQ5 (the one with built in moters) to the syntrek/synscan version?

You can upgrade the standard HEQ5 to goto with this upgrade kit First Light Optics - SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for HEQ5. The kit includes everything needed to upgrade the mount to goto capability.

Peter

Archived