Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd attempt at Jupiter

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get the imaging bug now so after lots of research on SGL and some great help from the people on here i had another go at Jupiter last night.

This time i used a x3 barlow plus an extension tube to try and get my focal length right. My scope is F5 x3 + x1.5 ish = x4.5 = F22.5 (i think).

The first is at 5fps:

post-26357-133877642395_thumb.jpg

Stacked in registax 6.

Skywatcher Skyliner 300p dob with tracking

x3 barlow + tube

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=5.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-6

Brightness=64

Contrast=32

Saturation=14

Gamma=7

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=44

The second at 10fps:

post-26357-133877642399_thumb.jpg

Stacked in registax 6.

Skywatcher Skyliner 300p dob with tracking

x3 barlow + tube

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-6

Brightness=64

Contrast=32

Saturation=14

Gamma=7

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=57

I think the detail is much better than my first go but still not great.

Any further advice/pointers would be really appreciated.

Am i loosing it in the processing or is my focus off?

Cheers

Simon.

That is improving Simon i think getting the processing levels right will help, somewhere between the two shots i think. and the horizontal lines can be removed with image analyzers Frequency domain filter. its usefull and its free. though he asks for a contribution

How many frames did you take? You could work at 10fps with the SPC900 quite happily. I would go for 3mins = 1800frames to start, Don't worry about Jupiters speed of revolution if you are taking colour images, just go for as many frames as you reasonably can.

Many thanks for the replies.

Both times i took 1650 frames limited down to about 900 in the final pic.

I'll have a go increasing those numbers.

Do you think my focus is ok? I tried using a mask and a star but then finding jupiter again at that size after setting focus was impossible so i tried to do it using the moon on the right.

Hi hope you don't mind :rolleyes: i've had a quick play on CS4 photoshop and reduced the size a little and added some filters there's a little more detail there... i think it maybe just the focus. I redo the focus every couple of avi's that way if the first batch are slightly out you might get better focus on the next, also i let the scope cool for at least 3 hours sometimes more. ;)

regards

Jason

post-27261-133877642456_thumb.jpg

Hi hope you don't mind :rolleyes: i've had a quick play on CS4 photoshop and reduced the size a little and added some filters there's a little more detail there... i think it maybe just the focus. I redo the focus every couple of avi's that way if the first batch are slightly out you might get better focus on the next, also i let the scope cool for at least 3 hours sometimes more. ;)

regards

Jason

That's great Jason, much better, i don't mind at all!

I guess photo shop is the next step for me to learn.

Good idea on the focus i will def try that. The adjustment is so slight on my single speed so trying several steps is a good idea.

Looking good Simon! That extension combo has brought out extra detail for sure! How is your tracking? The moon looks slightly out of focus unless seeing was very unstable? Or maybe Registax was struggling to align if the image was drifting? Collimation is another possiblity as the extra focal length will put higher demands on its accuracy.

Keep up the good work your making great progress!

Cheers Stuart. I have def got the bug! Collimation should be ok as i did it a few weeks ago but i will check before i go out again. Before Jupiter came up i was looking at the whirlpool galaxy and that was very faint so i think conditons might not have been gr8. I read on another post that focusing a faster scope is harder so def. need to keep practicing that too. Unfortunately I only have a single speed so that might be my next upgrade!!! I will try again with a mask and a star and then see if i can get back onto Jupiter.

Ideally the flextube needs to be collimated every session Simon. Always do mine every time though the secondary mirror is usually ok the primary often needs a tweak. Only takes a few secs with a laser. Focusing takes a lot of practise and patience lol

• 2 months later...

Archived