Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher or Baader Oiii 2''

The Baader admits a narrower band width than most other O-III filters. I found that it dimmed the background stars just too much for my tastes so I switched to a slightly "more generous" O-III filter. On that basis I'd go for the Skywatcher or Castell. The TS (Telescope Services) O-III is very similar to the Skywatcher one.

Thanks John, i'll drop 365 Astronomy an email about the Castell version to see if its coming back into stock anytime soon. If not ill go with the Skywatcher. The TS version works out almost as expensive as the Baader with the £12.50 postage costs.

Cheers

I had a little problem with mine but when it comes to things like this I am a bit of a perfectionist so maybe its just me! See my recent thread in this same section if you are interested. Looks like a 2" Skywatcher one for me now ;)

The 1st time I saw the Veil was using a Baader UHC-S filter and a 4" refractor. UHC filters will do a good job on many objects. For some objects though an O-III is just a bit more effective.

Veil Nebula through an OIII filter is one of the sights of the sky. I'll confess I forked out for an Astronomik one because I liked the look of the filter curve. I don't regret it. Perhaps because I observe from dark sites, I haven't found much else that the OIII filter really helps on. It changes the orion nebula a bit. Similarly I've used an Hb filter on the horsehead and that's about it.

Veil Nebula through an OIII filter is one of the sights of the sky. I'll confess I forked out for an Astronomik one because I liked the look of the filter curve. I don't regret it....

Me too :smiley:

The O-III is extremely effective with the Owl Nebula as well as the Veil. Another one that is very challenging without a filter !.

Archived