Tube rings for skymax 127

I think you want rings about 145mm diameter, but no-one does them. The easiest solution might be to get a pair of 150mm rings and pad out the internal face to fit, though I believe a few people have used 140mm rings by removing the padding and cleaning up the inner face, then re-lining it with insulting tape, or by replacing the locking bolts with longer ones.

James

Yep sorry I should have been a bit clearer. All I would like to do is ensure that the orientation of the tube is correct, because if I use the existing dovetail on the tube then this will be mounted on the side. I am guessing that tube rings would be an idea or simple drill new holes and re-mount the bracket....

I think the only "correct" place for the RDF is where it's convenient to use ;)

However, it may be less hassle just to put a second finder bracket on in the position you'd like to have the RDF when it's on the mount.

James

I think the only "correct" place for the RDF is where it's convenient to use ;)

However, it may be less hassle just to put a second finder bracket on in the position you'd like to have the RDF when it's on the mount.

James

I was going to suggest the same. It's what I intend to do ... when I get around to it :rolleyes:

Hi Andy,

Rings are indeed available to fit the skymax 127- Orion usa do some, check there website:

Orion Telescopes: 144mm ID Orion Telescope Tube Rings

I think someone is a UK dealer for Orion USA?

I like the versatility of rings, so i know where your coming from- i had to find some to fit my Mak to an az3.

Alternately if you can find some skywatcher 140mm rings, after much patient filing these will fit- only tried this as i had a spare set kicking around.

I'd recommend the Orion ones, it really is a lota work to save a few shekels ;)

Ps. Definitely don't recommend drilling any extra holes in your ota to relocate the dovetail- potentially a receipe for disaster:eek:

Archived