Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Odd star shapes

I am getting the below shaped stars tonight from my F4 newt. I suspect it to be collimation but as far as I can tell it is pretty much OK, collimation wise - now 'OK' may not be good enough when it comes to F4 or it is something else? This is a 100% crop from somewhere near the centre (Tonights target is the cocoon nebula).

post-13107-133877638839_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am wondering if it's a pinched mirror in the cell? I did go and tighten everything up to try and stabilise the collimation, prior to this I did have nice round stars, although I do somehoe suspect it to be collimation based, it would be good to get some feedback

Im asuming you are using a coma corrector? Have you got a full frame to show us? Do the distrotions all run in the same direction or to they point in different directions. Also are they different in the centre of the frame as apposed to the edges?

Also some quick snaps of a bright defocused star at various potions in the fov may help to diagnose it.

What it looks like is a doubling caused by a slight mount movement.

Does this happen all the time, or is it just on this occasion?

I've seen the same effect when a cable has been caught and then suddenly freed itself, however, you'de expect to see a big jump on the PHD graph, and it doesn't look like you have one from the graph you posted. :)

Rob

Try rotating the camera (filter wheel etc.....can't remember what kit you have) and see if the angle follows the rotation....if it does, it's a camera issue, if not, then you've eliminated that side of things.

Rob

Well I discarded the movement idea as a 20s exposure is the same as a 300s exposure movement wise, if it was a guiding issue surely it would have been greater in the 5min exposure?

No, it's not differential flexure.

That manifests as a gradual movement of the stars across the image over the course of several exposures, and on long enough single exposures is seen as an elongation of the stars. The elongation is dependant on exposure time, and in this case the abberation is the same independant of exposure time.

Rob

What about seeing then Rob?

Seeing wouldn't have such a marked and predictable effect.....what you get with bad seeing is star shapes that aren't round, but are different on every sub.

Rob

Archived