Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Transport case

I'm looking to purchase a case to transport the tube mount of my Skywatcher 127 mak. I purchased this scope to take camping with me so a strong case is essential. I'm not really having much luck finding anythig suitable on line. Does anyone here use cases for there tubes? Any suggestions as to where I can find something suitable?

Hi, thanks for your response. Finding a box is not really a problem, i'm after a transport case. It should have handes to enable me to carry the item and ideally be filled with foam.

I've found plenty of sites selling Peli cases, but once I get to a suitable size they seem to cost more than the telescope!

I carry my OMC140, which is only slightly bigger than the Skywatcher 127, in a 26 inch long Black and Decker Workmate toolbox with metal sides. The OTA with finder, diagonal and several eyepieces all fit in well with the foam that came with the telescope. The box cost about £18 from one of the DIY sheds. It was the only one I could find that was long enough and wide enough. There are plenty of 24 inch ones but not many 26 inchers. The dewshade has to travel separately, though.

Hi - it's been a while since I bought mine (for camera lenses) - but you used to be able to buy a metal tool case with a styrofoam type insert that could be cut out with a craft knife from Screwfix. Typically about briefcase size - don't know how big your scope is - but that might do it?

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE! :D

I finally got a case sorted. I'm very pleased with the result and will have no hesitation throwing it in the back of car when I go out!

The case I bought on Ebay for £27 and the foam insert, I bought 6 layers from www.foamforcomfort.co.uk and cost me around £35.

I cut each layer separately and when done I glued all the layers together.

Boxinterior.jpg

Boxfull.jpg

Boxside.jpg

Archived