Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam SPC900NC - Confused?

badboybubby

Hello,

I'm hoping to do some webcam imaging soon (possibly tonight) and wondered if I had set my webcam up correctly.

I bought a pre-flashed SPC880 to 900 Webcam kit from Morgan computers.

I followed these instructions (off the morgan website) exactly

How to fit the adapter

Unscrew (Anti clockwise) the grey cap aroung the end of the webcam lense until it becomes tight, it may click. Then with a knife or screwdriver prise off the grey cap, this will then reveal the lense which can be unscrewed and removed fully. Behind the lense will be a thread into which the adapter can be fitted

This means I now have a webcam with no focuser....is this correct?

thanks

Scott AKA Bubby

Sounds correct. You should be able to see the CCD without any lens to protect it (so be very careful to keep it clean! :))

I think I have it right then, I guess the IR Filter I fitted is protecting the CCD sensor from Dust

cheers

Yup - you're right! The telescope focuses the image of your target directly on the sensor of the webcam - hence the term "prime focus". The IR/UV filter certainly does protect the sensor from dust as well as its prime function of filtering unwanted wavelengths of light. Have fun!!

One of the common problems is that the webcam is like a 6mm eyepiece and as such needs to have the scope correctly aligned for an object to be in view. If you use a 25mm eyepiece to centre an object and swap to a 6mm one you may not be able to see the object (without an accurate alignment) - so using a webcam suffers from the same issue.

Of course if you have accurately aligned your finder scope this should be less of an issue but some folk only align them with a wideangle lens on a nearby target.

If you can centre the object first with a wide-view eyepice and drop down in stages to smaller view ones when aligning your finder this will pay off in observing sessions later.

One of the common problems is that the webcam is like a 6mm eyepiece and as such needs to have the scope correctly aligned for an object to be in view. If you use a 25mm eyepiece to centre an object and swap to a 6mm one you may not be able to see the object (without an accurate alignment) - so using a webcam suffers from the same issue.

Of course if you have accurately aligned your finder scope this should be less of an issue but some folk only align them with a wideangle lens on a nearby target.

If you can centre the object first with a wide-view eyepice and drop down in stages to smaller view ones when aligning your finder this will pay off in observing sessions later.

Good advice. Getting the target on the chip can be a right pain with these little cameras. Turning the exposure and gain right up to start with can also help you find your target. (remember to reset them before starting your capture though!)

Archived