Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Wizard (Not Harry Potter) Narrow Band

SlipperySquid

Hi all,

Narrow band image of NGC7380 taken over Friday and Saturday night 13x12min subs in each channel (SII/HA/OIII)

I have been trying out a few of the goodies in PIXINSIGHT to titivate the nebula and it's a great bag of tricks if not a bit difficult to get your head around!

NGC 7380 is located in the constellation Cepheus about 7,000 light-years from Earth within the Milky Way Galaxy. The star cluster is embedded in a nebula, which spans some 110 light-years. The stars of NGC 7380 have emerged from this star-forming region in the last 5 million years or so, making it a relatively young cluster.

Taken with the good old Atik16hr whilst attached to a William Optics Megrez 72mm.

All comments welcome! :)

post-17960-133877638005_thumb.jpg

Thanks fellas! Appreciate the comments :)

Hi Pheonix thought you'd left the imaging lark? and yes it's the Hubble palette with colours mapped to SII RED/Ha REEN/ OIII BLUE and then the colours tweaked with the selective colour tool within photoshop.

As to what CCD matey I think it all depends on budget? I like the Atik stuff and the customer service I've received from them has been excellent so I would be confident with there aftersales service the same is true for StarlightXpress CCD's. Chip wise the Sony285 chip found in the Atik314l+ and Starlight SXVR H9 is a fantastic chip and the CCD's don't come on the second hand market very often which can only go to show what great ccd's they are!

One thing though matey is that it's a steep learning curve coming from DSLR to CCD mono, but if you like faffing about the rewards are worth it!

Thanks again :eek:

clear skies

Matt.

Very nice Matt, you have really gotten to grips with this narrow-band imaging lark!!!

The colours are nice and the focus looks to be spot on, are you using MaxIm to focus now? And how did you take the flats?

Did you remember to use the "MorphologicalTransformation" tool? I love the names in PI!!!!:)

Cheers Matt. Yeah I'm back, (I was never really here!) I tried to learn too much too soon when I first tried imaging and didnt even get in to guiding, so 90 second subs was all I could get with a 200P that produced only bendy stars! So I just gave up after a couple of months to be honest.

I went back to visual and some beers, drunken astronomy rocks ;-)

BUT, I recently decided to try and do it properly and be a bit more patient and have gone back out for the first time last week and worked from the ground up. I got 1 1/2 hours on NGC7000 with darks and my first attempted flats.

See what you think anyway, it's what I regard as my first "proper" picture. My PS skills suck, but thats why Im here to learn from you guys. I like the way you process so it'd be cool to catch up sometime, have a few beers at a Star Party or what not and trip over some cables...

It felt good finally getting my first proper subs down, but I'll tell you what though, the missus was NOT impressed at me crawling in to bed at 4am rambling on about nebulas and such-like!!

Thanks Iain :) It's the most frustrating hobby I've ever had :eek: but I loves it

Also thanks Peter! I was going to add more data, but I don't the scope will grab much more detail? So I think I may go for the pacman next or take a couple of days holiday and bag M16!

Thanks Foundaplanet really appreciate you taking the time to have a gander and leave the comment :)

Clear Skies all,

Matt.

Archived